Monday, July 21, 2008

A Kabota's eye view of Center Valley




Last week I mentioned in a posting my anticipation of getting to drive the Kubota to my sisters' where we planned to attach the post hole digger. Turns out it looked too complicated so my sisters offered to bring the post hole digger attached to their tractor and dig holes for us this afternoon.

It's a 3.5 mile drive from our house to theirs so I took a jug of orange juice, which my mother needed, and my camera---stored both in my backpack. I thought about putting the orange juice in the tractor loader, but I didn't think Mother would like an orange slush.

My sisters told me I probably looked like a dude farmer rolling through the countryside with that backpack, but I didn't care. The tractor ride was exhilarating in the morning air. On the way back, I left my camera around my neck and took a few stops on the dirt road to snap photos of sights along my way.

There's much more beauty to be seen along this trip through Selle farmland, but I didn't want to look too touristy to the locals, so I kept the tractor moving most of the time. That swather sitting in the field is probably waiting for the next cutting.

Shrefflers have a car for sale; if you're interested, let me know and I'll pass along the word. That gate you see had a partner, and the two took a beating from this past winter. I don't know where its partner resides now, but the folks on this place must've liked the artistic nature of winter's wrath.

A lot of the land along this stretch of Center Valley Road is owned by the Wood family, and the expanse of their fields is something to behold. At the corner of Center Valley and South Center Valley Road, the Watsons have some goats. They've prepared a nice shelter for their pets, and the pets seem to approve.

Jack Filipowski's cattle in the green fields belonging to Eva Whitehead begged for a photo or two. Well, the cows didn't, but the scene did.

And, when I arrived home, our three horses (the Love's Lefty and Barbara and Laurie's Cochie and Reyvan) were having a great time racing around their pasture.

So, if anyone wants to get a nice view of life in the country, go climb on a tractor and take along your camera. But if you don't want to be dubbed a dude by the locals, leave your backpack at home.

No comments: