Tuesday, August 19, 2008



Manure-pile melon patch

As far as I'm concerned, the future in melon production at the Lovestead is well ensured. As long as we have horses, we can grow melons. I put my little plants, started from seed in February, on the manure pile in June.

I watered them fewer than ten times, and that's the extent of the maintenance. The rich stuff within the pile has done the rest. Last year, we had four small cantaloupe, grown in the north garden. This year, we have more than a dozen healthy, growing melons.

If I can get my watermelon plants to make it next year, we could have a pretty good melon growing operation going, cuz, for sure, the horses have another winter to produce another pile of fertilizer.

This has been a fun discovery, and we're looking forward to it being a tasty one too.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: