Friday, September 19, 2008

Annie's star line-up strikes again


First, it was Wayne Newton. Years ago after attending an Arabian Nationals as a youth horse judge, Annie brought home a photo of her standing next to Wayne Newton. It’s not unusual to see the singer/actor at those events because he raises and loves Arabian horses at his home in Las Vegas.

The photo also surpassed my efforts, or lack thereof, years earlier in Calgary when I saw Wayne outside the barn stall where my friend Terry Green and I had been sleeping for the night. We were there to help the Balch family with their horses at the Canadian Arabian Nationals.

That morning, as I stepped outside the stall, my hair was snarled up and ugly from a night of tossing and turning in the sleeping bag on the uncomfortable stall floor. I was headed to the bathroom (a common destination for me) when I looked up, saw a tall, tanned Wayne talking to his ranch manager. I went back into the stall to nudge Terry, who at the moment was more impressed with sleep than getting up to go stare at Wayne.

On that occasion, my usual outgoing self remained uncharacteristically restrained. I simply walked past the star a couple of times that morning. He smiled at me and went on with his talking. At least, a generation later, Annie had the foresight to get someone to snap a photo when she met Wayne.

Well, moving on with my daughter and her stars. Viggo Mortensen blew her a kiss in Wellington, New Zealand, Dec. 1, 2003, at the red-carpet line-up for the stars of “Return of the King,” the third segment of Lord of the Rings, which premiered there. The complete story of that meeting can be read at my website
http://www.mariannelove.com/.

While working at the Courtyard Marriott front desk in Seattle, Annie talked to Brad Pitt on the phone a couple of times. He was calling to talk to a contractor who was staying at the hotel.

This morning, our adventuresome daughter has once again struck paydirt (not to be confused with dirt) again. I talked with her at 5:45 a.m. our time to see if she had arrived in Boston.

“I’m driving by Fenway Park,” she told me. “I’m on my way to Hartford, Connecticut, to pick up a girl for the conference.


She also told me that she slept all of about two hours on the red-eye flight. It could have been more, she said, if the 50-60-somethings seated near her and acting like 12-year-olds would have kept quiet. She figured they may have gone out and gotten plastered for the night flight across the United States.

It sounded like a good beginning for her 4-day visit to Boston. I told her to be careful and to have fun. Later, after I came in from putting the horses out in their pasture, Bill told me to call Annie. She had news.

“Well, what is it?” I asked.

“I think she wants to tell you,” he said.

So, I called her. On her drive to Hartford, she had pulled into a rest stop to go to the bathroom and get a bite to eat. She saw a couple of cop cars blocking off a part of the entrance. Going inside, she noticed bright lights all over the interior. As she washed her hands in the bathroom, the girl next to her said a famous star was there filming a movie.

Annie walked outside, and, sure enough. There stood Mel Gibson.

According to The Beantown Bloggery, the new Gibson movie is called The Edge of Darkness. It’s based on a miniseries and deals with a homicide detective. It’s the actor’s first movie since 2002.

The day is young, and who knows what Annie will see before it ends. I told her to check out Mark Twain’s home in Hartford if she has time. Her stars always seem to line up, so who knows what this trip will bring. I have a feeling she may stop for a bathroom break at a certain rest stop near Boston on her return trip. Maybe a photo op for Annie. Who knows?

Back here in quiet North Idaho where the likes of Viggo, Ben Stein and Jack Nicklaus hang out, I'll continue on my quest to finish a couple of stories about little-known, obscure Sarah Palin. At the rate I'm going, I might find it easier to call up Tina Fey and interview her.


I’m also expecting a colorful day at the Bonner County Fairgrounds. My mother and I are attending the first segment of the Idaho Draft Horse and Mule Show. It’s always a breath-taking event around here.

So, if I see any stars, other than magnificent Belgians, Shires, Percherons and Clydesdales, etc., I’ll let you know.

Happy Friday.

2 comments:

Diane Rice
—DocuDoctor
said...

Hey, M
What fun for Annie! My nearness to fame was the Sandpoint Extreme Home Makeover -- I've meant to ask you how that turned out for the family involved -- and the fact that I got to see both the Beatles (at age 13) and Elvis in concert in Chicago. Oh, and had dinner with Jimmy C. Newman (C&W singer) at an ApHC board meeting in Nashville a few yrs back.

Say hi to my dentist, Larry Loomis, at the draft horse show! He has a slew of Percherons that he shows in harness.

Anonymous said...

Marianne, I have a celebrity-magnet daughter, too! Diana has had the good fortune to run into no fewer than four famous people over the course of the past 15 years or so--Carl Sagan (whom she thanked for guiding her into a career in science), Robin Williams (with whom she was photographed at Berkeley when he was making the forgettable "Patch Adams"), Russell Crowe in Princeton during the filming of "A Beautful Mind", and most recently the great British actor Anthony Andrews, with whom she posed for a wonderful picture in London's theatre district. (If you're a fan of the original BBC production of "Bridehead Revisited," you will remember him as Lord Sebastian Flyte.) She brought me a play program in which he had inscribed, at her request, a personal message to me.

My parents visited Paris in the spring of 1959. In the Louvre, they came upon a beautiful woman standing alone gazing at the Venus de Milo. My parents did her the kindness of not acknowledging that they knew who she was, and Ingrid Bergman gave them a personal tour of the Louvre in return.

Ingrid Bergman. Think of that.

In my case, I have come close to rubbing shoulders with the positively radiant Katharine Hepburn in Mpls. in 1979, and with a morose-looking Ralph Nader in the Atlanta airport in 1980. JFK passed within 10' of me enroute to a Northern Virginia rally in the fall of 1960. He was strikingly handsome!

I have met loads of famous classical musicians, for what that's worth!

Best wishes from Madison!

PSP