Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Morning Bull



This big guy belongs to the Taylors who live across the road from us. He was grazing near the fence when I walked out to get the papers. I had my camera because morning sunlight peeking above the Cabinets and casting its glow across Taylors field is a pretty sight.

The cows and their bull are out for fall pasture on the hayfield which was harvested in July.

This guy makes me think of some of our great bulls in past years when we owned Ponderay Hereford Ranch on North Boyer. The two that stand out in my memory are Bomber and Milford.

I believe we bought Bomber from Merle Griffith, a county commissioner from Priest River and definitely a face of yesteryear. That was probably back in the '50s. All I really remember about Bomber is that he was big and that he had hoof rot, a common malady for big bulls and cows. The disease was especially bad for bulls because the extreme pain associated with it rendered them pretty useless at getting their work done.

My memories of Milford are more vivid. In fact, I wrote about Milford in a story among the Pocket Girdles collection called "Great Horned Cows." We bought Milford from the Feenans in Colfax, Wash. He was so-named because of his registration moniker FF Milliron 11.
The Milliron strain was popular at the time and assured no dwarfism, which was a pervasive problem among Hereford cattle at the time.

Pedigree aside, Milford served as more than a herd bull. He was one big flat-backed, lovable pet. Milford was also broke to ride. I remember a few jaw-dropping moments at the North Boyer farm when company would come, and, while touring the place, would see my brother Kevin riding Milford up from the back pasture----standing up.

Milford's flat back and gentle demeanor were good for that. And, the reaction from visitors was always memorable.

So, a little morning bull across the road this morning took me for a nostalgic trip back. Doesn't take much.

As far as forward motion, we've got an electrician here for the next few days installing power to our new building. And, John Fuller comes in late morning to install some new shoes on Lily.

Busy day ahead, and the greatest feeling of all about it----I don't have to go to school. I've already seen Colleen Filipowski drive by very early for her first day back with the kiddies, and, no doubt, the buses have been by to pick up the kids.

Six years and counting since my stomach used to get tied up in a knot and remain that way for nine months. Don't miss that, but I do miss the excitement of meeting a whole new crop of kids.

Happy Tuesday, and best wishes to all teachers and staff for a wonderful, fulfilling school year!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I share your feelings about the beginning of the school year, and the 8-month struggle. It was exhausting. This is my first year of retirement, and though I have mixed feelings, overall I am very satisfied that I am not standing on my feet all day and dealing with multiple problems simultaneously, etc.