Saturday, September 06, 2008

Saturday Slight

What a week this has been with politics, storage shed progress, and the usual day-to-day craziness! Hard to believe the first week of school is a memory, and six years into retirement, I'm glad to keep all the stuff that goes along with the first week of school strictly a memory.

This morning is a sad one at the Colburn farm. During the night, my sisters had to say good bye to one of their beloved horses, Reyvan. She was 25 and a trooper, right to the end. Reyvan had never been ill until the night before last. I'm not sure what the ailment was, but the vet ruled out colic. So, that may remain a mystery.

There was no mystery in Reyvan, however. She was born good and remained that way every day of her life. She was a lone, often picked on by the other horses because she wouldn't fight back. Reyvan was also a phenomenal little cart horse and a wonderful, cooperative mount for lots of young kids.

Laurie and I bought her together from Ted Fisher years ago. I eventually sold my half, but never ever lost my love for her. In fact, she spent part of her spring and summer over here with various barnyard friends while Lefty and Lily were off being trained. I spent the afternoon with her yesterday while Laurie was in school, and I'm glad we had some nice moments together.

We'll miss her and always remember her perfect manners, gentle demeanor and unusual patience.

On a brighter topic, Bob, the electrician, finished bringing power to our new building. That renders it complete. Now, Bill and I will plan how we're going to set up a shop on the south side and an organized storage set-up for big and little items on its northern two thirds. The new old motorhome will probably sit in there as will the Kubota tractor.

I think Bob enjoyed his stint here this week because he had lots of help. It probably wasn't very productive help; in fact, it may have distracted him a bit. Bob never complained about having to throw another Folgers can for Kiwi or having to share his lunch with Kea or having to pet good ol' Annie.

The dogs had a great time getting acquainted, and it seemed that Bob made himself three new and adoring canine friends. I think they may just suffer withdrawal from all the extra attention he gave them this week. Last I checked, though, Kiwi and Kea were eyeing a squirrel high up in the poplar trees north of the driveway. That ought to keep them occupied for a few hours.

This week, I've been given the renewed assignment to get a feature story for Sandpoint Magazine's winter edition about Gov. Sarah Palin (probably a total impossibility but I'll try) or, at the very least, her folks, Chuck and Sally Heath. The problem lies in the media gag order imposed on the family ever since Gov. Palin was tapped for Sen. John McCain's candidacy.

At the very, very least, I'm having a good time interviewing folks who know the folks who know the Palins and the Heaths. And, I must proclaim loudly that the Heaths of Wasilla, Alaska, are NOT the Heaths for whom Heath Lake and Heath Lake Road (south of Sandpoint near Algoma) are named.

Having already done a column this past year on another Heath named Mona, I've asked those questions, and Mona will tell you they're not related to Chuck Heath but that her family is connected with Heath Lake and Heath Lake Road. Also, the Heath guy with the big Kamloops that received national attention back in the '50s is Mona's grandfather.

Anyway, I'll keep pursuing sources and hoping that a door will open for an interview with someone in the Alaska Heath family and their instantly famous relative. I even read this morning that Gov. Sarah's hairstyle is carefully planned. Some lady in Great Britain paid 75 pounds to get her hair done that way.

So, look out for the fashion rages. The Sarah-look is coming on like a storm. Again, I wonder if Chuck Heath could have ever dreamed of such hoopla.

It's a beautiful Saturday and time to go out to see which tomatoes decided to look embarrassed today. I'll pluck them, continue to do some yardwork, hug my horses and maybe even ride Lily today.

Happy Saturday to all.

No comments: