Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Small-time banking; big-time losses


As noted a few days' back, the history column in the local paper is making me feel old. Today's entry for 50 years ago in 1958 talks about the new bank in town. Seems an appropriate topic since some of the old banks in the country are going down the tubes.

The new bank in Sandpoint in October, 1958, brought us a time and temperature sign on Second Avenue not far from the Post Office, the mortuary and the Sandpoint News Bulletin. It was called First Federal Savings and Loan, and it was a different kind of competitor for the Idaho First National Bank which sat on the corner of Second and Cedar.

Of course, we got involved.

I can't remember if we, of Batch One in our family, already had our three copper, log piggy banks from Idaho First National. If so, I also don't know if the bottom of mine had already been pried open by a brother with a handy screwdriver when the First Federal Savings bank came to town.

Our piggy banks were locked on the bottom, only to be opened when full. We were supposed to drop our loose change in the top slot. My parents had the keys, so if our money landed in there, it was a sure bet to stay there.

My folks, however, hadn't considered the skillful hands of sneaky brothers who had already figured out how to pilfer from the locked freezer and the padlocked fruit room where Mother hid all the good stuff that would otherwise get eaten the day she bought it or baked it.

Occasionally, whatever loose change (which came only through the sale of beer bottles and pop bottles collected from roadside ditches) I had dumped into my bank, disappeared overnight, much like what we're seeing happen with our stock market investments this week.

In my case, I usually had a pretty good idea of who dunnit and, unlike what we're seeing as our current investments go south, I knew my screwdriver thief on a first-name basis.

But "he" was bigger and meaner than I, so all I could do was pout.

Anyway, in 1958, First Federal Savings and Loan offered a safer bet for my money. I remember our parents opening up accounts for each of us, probably starting us out with ten dollars apiece. We received our own little baby-blue bank books, looking a lot like passports, which we could present every time we made a deposit.

Just like my passport, I don't recall my bankbook ever getting covered with too much ink. The pages remained essentially blank, but I do know that a few deposits were made during my early adolescent years.

Those usually came each year after I received my 4-H premium checks. Readers may recall that I received a lot of white "thanks for showing up" ribbons, so those checks were fairly modest.

My savings account probably never surpassed $40, but it remained safe from screwdrivers.

I also remember when our folks decided we needed to join the community effort to purchase stock in a new ski resort planned up the watershed road where my dad drove nearly every day as Sandpoint's city water filter operator.

We each took ten dollars from our First Federal Savings accounts and invested it toward a share of stock apiece in Schweitzer Ski Basin, now known as Schweitzer Mountain Resort. That stock sat for 20-plus years, and, later, during one of the resort ownership changes, we could cash in on our invesment by selling our stock and collecting a $5 dividend.

Just $15, but still a 150-percent return, which seems astronomical to what folks are receiving for their investments in this week's financial markets.

Greed and mismanagement of giant financial institutions is taking its toll. And the little guys, like the employees and the small-time investors like us country hicks are paying the price while those responsible for the daily debacle revelations walk off with multimillion-dollar severance packages.

The screwdrivers are once again at work, only this time at the hands of nameless, greedy souls. Sadly, during this current national and world financial crisis, those of us peons are powerless to do much about watching our investments disappear during the night.

In fact, it all seems highly reminiscent of the past with the screwdriver assaults on my little log bank.

When our hard-earned money disappears, all we can do is pout---just like I had to do a few minutes ago when my entire blog posting for this morning disappeared into cyberspace, and I had to start all over again.

Where are those screwdrivers! Dammit!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing we can do is vote! And I sure won't vote for more of the same party that got us into this mess. Even though each of us probably feels powerless, voting is the one "power tool" that we all have. Use it!

Anonymous said...

Please think carefully before pinning this one on George Bush and the Republican Party. It is, after all, the do-nothing Democrats who have controlled Congress since 2004.

Lay this one at the feet of our ho-hum national legislature and the greedy, irresponsible Wall Street hedge funds managed who mortgaged tomorrow in favor of quick gains today.

Equally culpable: Foolish individual buyers of flimsy mortgages. They get what they deserve for making poor consumption choices.

If you want solid, sound fiscal policy, vote the common-sense ticket of McCain and Palin and hope that they sweep enough Republicans into Congress to remove from our essentially healthy economy the restrictions, regulations, and predatory practices that have bogged us down today.

Anonymous said...

Lay this one at the feet of our ho-hum national legislature and the greedy, irresponsible Wall Street hedge funds MANAGERS who mortgaged tomorrow in favor of quick gains today.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Marianne. I know how you dislike political bickering, but your previous anonymous poster caught my attention. Bill Clinton (I already know how many dislike that name) left us with a huge budget surplus, a good economy (remember gas at less than $2/gal?), peace, and a good reputation in the world. The democratic turnaround was good, but not strong enough to effect as much change as they will be able to after November. To vote for the two r's is to vote for more of what we have right now, and some more besides. No regulation, no fairness, just let greed run its course. Well, we're seeing what special interests can do to our economy, when they're given the free reign they've had the last 8 years. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see some real change. This Hillary supporter is voting for Obama.

MLove said...

Sue,

I don't know who some of these folks are, but I welcome the discussion, debate, or whatever you want to call it, as long as it remains constructive.

So, debate away.

Marianne

Anonymous said...

There was no outcry from either political party when federal regulations were changed in order to "encourage" financial institutions to lend money to customers that would not have been able to get loans under a regime of sound business practices. Think "Community Redevelopment Act." The intention of the act--a Clinton administration legacy--was to eliminate "red-lining." Noble intent with unintended consequencees. What it did was require financial institutions to make loans that they never would have made ordinarily. That, along with a mismanaged regulatory environment (here's where both parties were involved) resulted in today's crisis. We all loved it when we made hay because of it (anybody here ever re-finance?? Surely no one here ever took out one of those low interest/no interest equity loans, right?). 20-20 finger-pointing is surely in season. You wanna know who the greedy ones are?? Go look in the mirror.

Just for grins, please know that a certain maverick senator was against it, while a certain change/hope senator favored it.

MJB

Anonymous said...

Folks wishing to know more about background on current financial crisis and its roots in the Clinton administration may wish to read the article at:

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=306370789279709

MJB

Anonymous said...

Blame Clinton all you want. I wonder how long that complaint will go on? But what's the solution in the future, the one we have a stake in? McCain admits he doesn't understand economics. Obama will be looking at our economy through the eyes of the middle class, instead of the privileged uber-wealthy.

Bay Views said...

That was just about the most well written, graphic example that I have ever read. I just wish I had thought of it first. /close envy

Anonymous said...

Hi Marianne, Jamie reads your blog regularly and I stop by from time to time to get caught up. On this topic of savings and those who hold the screwdriver, I'm reminded of one of my favorite novels, Atlas Shrugged. What do we do? We could do what John Galt proposes in that book. Productive members of our society need to go on strike.

Now I'm not moving the family to an enclave next week, but I have to question why I want to continue to be a productive member of a society that believes in forced wealth redistribution.

If they have the screwdriver to my piggybank, I'm putting the money somewhere else a little more secure. If they absolutely control where I put my money so they can always jimmy the lock, then I still control how much I earn. Creativity, ingenuity, free will, self reliance...at some point the fruits of these qualities shouldn't be wasted on our society. Let the crowd that goes to college to be professional protestors support our society for a few years.

Anyway, I enjoy your blog. I'm looking forward to more reports on local Palin discoveries.

Jim

Anonymous said...

To Sue: If you check my comment, I "blamed" the person in the mirror. If you see Clinton when you look in the mirror, you might wanna have the locks checked.

:-)MJB

Anonymous said...

ATLAS SHRUGGED

That says it all.

It's the greatest book I've ever read, ranking just above War and Peace and Anna Karenina.

I'm hoping to find my own retreat from our contemporary Starnesville in the mountains of North Idaho.

(I am the author of messages #2 and 3, above, and I do realize that the Democrats took over Congress in the mid-term election of 2006, not in 2004.)

Anonymous said...

Let's remember that Phil Gramm, McCain's economic adviser, was the person who designed the deregulation legislation in 2000 that got us into this particular mess.

The regulation that McCain is so upset with today, was designed by his CHIEF economic adviser, Phil Gramm.

McCain and Republicans have always been against regulation and we are learning the consequences of what that means.