Sunday, September 21, 2008

Where in the world . . . ?




This may keep readers busy speculating while I head to Bonners Ferry to attend Mass at St. Ann's. I hope the church doesn't fall down from the shock of my presence.

So, where is it? And, what is it?

I'll be back to post more later.

Later . . . .

The drive to and from Bonners Ferry was wet and splashy. We're getting a soaking rain today, and we need it. I won't mind it too much if it doesn't hang around for too long.

My rain jacket has already gone through two short cycles in the dryer. I was fortunate a while ago to have the horses come from their new lush pasture to me rather than my having to race and stumble through foot-deep wet grass to catch each of them.

Grain rattling in the bottom of a can does wonders.

It was nice to go to Mass. I haven't been in such a long time. I joined St. Ann's Parish in Bonners Ferry at least two years ago and am lucky to make it up there half a dozen times each year.

Personal reasons led me to leave St. Joseph's, the parish where I was baptized, told half truths in Confession, received my First Communion and married Bill.

I'll return some day, but for now, I thoroughly enjoy Mass at St. Ann's with Fr. Carlos Perez. He moved here from Columbia. His accent is still thick but his message at the pulpit and among the people is clear. He loves God, and he genuinely loves his flock.

Today's message from the Gospel was a bit ironic, considering the way I've sputtered about the economy woes this past week. In the reading, workers who went to the field at the end of the day, tallying up just an hour's labor, got paid the same as those who had worked all day long.

Obviously, the day-longers had something to say about that, much like the way I've had something to say about the unfairness of the folks at the top squandering away the retirement savings accounts of the underlings---then getting paid huge severance packages for their screw-ups.

Maybe their story is just a bit different from that in the Gospel because it seems that they might have been guilty of one of the seven deadly sins, just like those of us who feel envious or jealous once in a while.

Fr. Carlos explained the point----that God is generous to everyone, and that we should be thankful that we all share in the pot, especially when we think of the beauty in which we live here in North Idaho and when we think of what it could have been like if we lived in Houston or Galveston over the past couple of weeks.

Good point, and it seems we often need to continue to remind ourselves of the grace and generosity we receive so much of the time as opposed to perceived inequities and real disasters.

Speaking of good times, I must say the photo above reflects a good time had by all. Still, nobody has wagered a guess as to what and where it is. Those associated with the management must keep mum on the subject until adequate time has been allowed for a few guesses.

In the meantime, I think I'll go make some dewberry jelly. It's a good project for a day like this.

Later . . . .





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odd--we had the same parable in the readings at our Lutheran Church....and the sermon was an extension of it. Current economic woes were never mentioned, though.

MJB

patton4 said...

I'm guessing it's in Massachusetts somewhere.? :)

MLove said...

Gettin' close. Must be more specific. You know how hard-nosed "Mrs. Love" can be. :)

patton4 said...

Is it Hartford Conn. :)

NILove said...

Go back to Mass --- achusetts, that is. Keep guessing.