Tuesday, October 14, 2008



I could use a photoshop program, but this picture may be too far gone. It traveled in my wallet for years. Even with the scratches down their faces, it's still one of my favorites of my two children, Willie and Annie. The one above actually survived our house fire in 1984.

This week begins the countdown toward the big "3-0" for "Miss Annie Love, Sandpoint, Idaho." "Mr. Willie Love, Sandpoint, Idaho," passed that milestone 19 months ago. That's what they used to call themselves whenever we traveled. Their dad also nicknamed them "Big Man" and "Precious."

It's difficult for a mom to avoid getting nostalgic about her babies, now grown and living successful lives of their own. It's not difficult, however, to be SO PROUD of them and to want to talk about them. I know that's a maternal feeling the world around.

Annie will turn 30 this Sunday, so I'm going to do some reflecting this week, digging through old photographs and letting the world see her progression from our little "Precious" to our beloved adult daughter who climbs tall mountains, sets off on exciting adventures and makes the world a better place for those around her----most of the time, anyway!!!

Annie tells me birthday parties for her contemporaries are planned a little differently from what folks of my generation have been accustomed to doing. Generally no big surprises: you plan your own party. That way, you invite whomever you want and do exactly whatever you want.

So, Annie's got a weekend of reveling to do, including one "surprise" party on Friday night and one Annie-coordinated party on Saturday. Hers is '80s retro, so she ordered the Atari set to be available for entertainment.

Bill and I are doing our expected but, of course, surprising part: sending the checks. That's what parents are for when you're 30. The rest you design yourself.

Sounds sensible to me!

No comments: