Monday, October 06, 2008

Sunday Seen at Farragut



I know of sailors, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, hippie dippies, remote-controlled airplane flyers, cross country skiers, frisbee golfers, bicyclists, hikers, deer, bluebirds, campers, horses, tourists, etc.-----but I'm betting this is the first camel to stand on the hallowed ground at Farragut State Park, once Farragut Naval Training Station (during WWII).

If anyone has any documentation to the contrary, I'll ASSUME that this young guy is a pioneer. He let me know exactly what he thought of having to stand there and have his picture taken. At least, he didn't spit at me. Actually, he's a pretty nice guy.

His trainer told me he was agitated, but I observed that agitated camels do everything in slow motion. Noah doesn't like to be tied, but it takes him about 25 or so seconds to pull back, where it takes a horse a split second.

My sisters and I hauled our horses down to Farragut State Park yesterday because it's pretty, and we could ride safely without someone shooting us. Since hunting season is going full speed ahead in most other riding areas, Farragut was the place to go. Several other horse trailers were parked at the corral, but the riding area is so large that we never saw any other trail riders during our two-hours at the park.

Half the time we had no idea where we were, but that was okay. Once we followed a trail that took us to the back yards of Bayview. On another path, we walked through the amphitheater where Bill and I sat 35 years ago watching Bob Hope perform for 40,000 Boy Scouts.

A multitude of memories---all good---make Farragut one of my more favorite places on earth. And, I'm confident that I'm not alone.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kevin Taylor said...

Camels at Farragut. I'd say this is the clearest sign yet of global warming.

Anonymous said...

Norm, my girls and I also attended the Bob Hope show at Farragut 35 years ago when the Idaho Dept. of Lands employees were in charge of fire protection for the scout jamboree. Didn't see a camel then. Linda Lewis