Thursday, November 06, 2008

Thursday twitter shots



~~Family Portrait~~

Mr. and Mrs. Oak with their adopted son, Poplar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to a cold morning at the Lovestead.

I dug out my fleece-lined jeans this morning. The first pair indicated to me that I might have enjoyed a few too many bowls of ice cream over the past few weeks.

I could get 'em zipped with no problem, but that cutting away at my thigh tops while I'm seated is not at all comfortable. Later, I felt like I was actually sneaking back to the bathroom to change into another pair. Don't know whom I was trying to fool cuz even if I fooled someone, the truth is still there in the discomfort.

Fortunately, the second pair I chose is significantly more comfortable and so warm.

The snow has made its way further down the slopes, but we're supposed to have rain later today.

Still, it's early November, and the time is right for winter to return to North Idaho.

Damn!

Bert Woods' cows should be leaving for their winter home soon. I felt terrible yesterday while loading up four bales of hay from the loafing shed to take to the barn. His cows came running en masse and bawling vociferously to the fence near the loafing shed. I tried to tell them this was my horse hay. My heart wanted to fling a bale over the fence to them, but my brain reminded me of the potential shock treatment lying in wait along that single strand of fencewire.

By the time I reached the barn, Bert had reached the Meserve place, and all was suddenly quiet. Cows were munching and contented.

Every day when it doesn't rain, I take my lawn sweeper around the yard. The plan is to pick up as many leaves as possible before snow and cold glue the rest to the ground for the winter----if I don't get at them with the rake, that is.

I always hope for good luck in the leaf pick-up, but Mother Nature does not always comply.

On the Heather front, I'm happy to report that she allows me to catch her much more quickly and that she has made her transition from barnyard guest to one of the herd in the far pasture with Lily. Lily has almost welcomed her, but, of course, has demonstrated her superiority as the herd queen a couple of times.

Heather, like Lefty last year, is learning the correct reclining positions in her box stall. Yesterday I noticed a big patch of hair and raw skin on her rear quarter. She had apparently lain down too close to her automatic waterer---which is just above floor level cuz of the previous goat population here. Upon getting up, she ripped of a patch of hair. As I said, Lefty did that last year---only once.

Today is zap day for me. Someone asked me in the grocery store the other day if "Blondes do have more fun." I'm still getting used to the fact that my highlighted hair is blonde most of the time, and I'm hoping nobody thinks me too dizzy. Still, it's kind of fun for an old lady to listen to such questions as opposed to the alternative.

Better get going. The horses did their nightly deposits, so I must go pick them up and move on with the day.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: