Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday Slight

We were supposed to have a snowy weekend, but last night Tom Sherry issued some good news. The snow will fall south of us, the skies will be clear, the wind will blow, and it will be cold.

That's okay! Bill and I are both pleased to know that our lives "after shoveling" continue. I don't know how long, but every day of simple enjoyment of a tame winter is a good day.

And, if it gets cold enough, maybe we can just walk across the top of the snow without snow shoes and without sinking in. I always enjoy such times because it opens up many more possibilities for taking walks with the dogs.

~~~~~~~

This is the week with a jillion birthdays, it seems. Let's see---who all can I remember celebrating their special day? There are my classmates Janis, Robin and Andrea. Happy birthday to each of you. And, there are my former colleagues Nancy Miller, Dick Sodorff and Bev Chapin---happy birthday to each of you.

Also, my Lincoln School teacher Frances Fredstrom is starting her 97th year, I believe. A very happy birthday to Mrs. Fredstrom. And, to anyone else whom I may have missed---enjoy your day!

~~~~~~~
We went to McDuff's for our usual Friday night out last night. I cannot recall too many other times that I've seen the town so filled up with cars. Usually, Bill and I drive past the hospital, turn on to Second Avenue and park by the old Post Office, now a title company, and walk across the old Safeway (now a medical building) lot to First Avenue.

Last night, we had to keep on driving. When we entered the City Parking lot, we had to keep on driving through the complete lot before finding a spot. Knowing we were late, we hoofed it through the crowds of walkers over to McDuffs to meet our friend and my former student Mitzi Hawkins.

It was a celebration of sorts to revel in the fact that Mitzi is here to stay. This past week, she began working for Litehouse, Inc. As one who has watched and appreciated Mitzi's journey through life since her high school years, I'm thrilled that she has been able to come back home to live, work and contribute to our community.

She's a gem in every sense of the word. As we visited last night, I couldn't help but think of a day more than 20 years ago when three former students--from the classes of 1978 (Mitzi), 1980 (Steve Neuder) and 1982 (Jeralyn Lewis Mire) and I spent together in Los Angeles.

And, when I say "day," I probably should edit that to approximately 26 hours, which included almost two hours of sleep. My mother and I were headed to Mexico City to visit my brother and his family. Mother headed off from the airport with one of her lifelong friends from Michigan, while Mitzi and Steve picked me up to start our whirlwind tour.

We visited the Comedy Club, we walked the streets of Hollywood, we stayed a few hours at either Steve or Jeralyn's apartment. Jeralyn and I went to 6:30 Mass before visiting her horse, which she had boarded at a stable somewhere in that big place. Then, we all met at Disneyland, where we spent 12 hours, taking in every scary, stomach-altering attraction available.

I don't know how I survived, but I did, and I know I slept well that night after Mitzi deposited me at my mother's friends' house in Van Nuys.

That was 20-plus years ago, and it's still a great memory, but what is even greater is that all three of these remarkably talented, people-oriented and dedicated homegrown products have returned to Sandpoint after living phenomenally successful lives elsewhere as professionals and as human beings.

We are so blessed to have them all back in this community, with Mitzi at Litehouse; Steve, at the Lutheran Church as assistant pastor; and Jeralyn, at Sandpoint High School where every day she makes dramatic differences in kids' lives as a guidance counselor.

Another of the myriad of examples that I can cite as reminders of the joy of teaching. Such pride and satisfaction stays with us forever and only gets better, as exemplified by our dinner out last night.

~~~~~~~~
Fishing Mecca: That's what I learned about Sandpoint this morning as Bill read me an article from a Fly Rod and Reel magazine. In the March, 2009 issue----we can't figure out why he's already reading the March, 2009 issue, but he was----a writer from Ennis, Montana, ranked Sandpoint as No. 9 among the top ten places to go fly fishing.

Maybe that's why there were so many people in town last night. Maybe they read the March, 2009 issue and figured it was fishing time----well, they'll have to wait. Actually, it was the skiing film festival at the Panida that seemed to be the big draw.

There is plenty of ice fishing to be had around the area, though.

~~~~~~~~~
From the Jan. 23 Chicago Tribune: Luke Song's Detroit hat shop has been flooded with requests for the hat Aretha Franklin wore while belting out "My Country 'Tis of Thee" at President Barack Obama's inauguration.

The 36-year-old designer told The Associated Press that the gray, felt hat with a Swarovski rhinestone-bordered bow was hand-molded and would cost upward of $500—if it were for sale.

Song, whose custom-designed women's hats have been mainstays among Detroit's stylish churchgoers, was not prepared for the requests from women wanting the same hat worn Tuesday by the "Queen of Soul."

I have an assignment for our own resident "hat-wearing queen," Mary Faux. I'd like her to find a way to finagle one of those hats and wear it to the next Women of Wisdom Luncheon. It may be out of season, but she's guaranteed to be a hit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And THE CHASE IS ON: voting continues through the next several days for everyone's favorite to be selected as a team member of the Seattle Sounders Soccer Team. I'll keep posting the link and encouraging folks to pass the word and help Chase realize his dream. Tryouts are next Sunday, Feb. 1 following the Super Bowl.

So, take a few minutes, go to the site, register, read about Chase, vote, and spread the message. http://www.soundersfc.com/Article_noheader.aspx?id=3068&languageid=1033

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, it's a "GO ZAGS" day as the Bulldogs take on Loyola Merrymount tonight, and I've received word that my dear friend Jeff Bock will be there donned in all his totally-committed Gonzaga-fan glory. Jeff, be sure to wave if you see a camera----and GO ZAGS!

Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

What happen to our Winter parade at this time of the year? do you know? or did this go to the way side like the sculptures did. Of course winter didn't cooperate with enough snow in the past for that. But I looked for the parade.. didn't see it listed. I thought maybe it slipped by me and that is why so many people were in town last night.