Sunday, January 18, 2009

Snow Shoeing and Inaugurating







Thanks to those of you who wrote emails or blog comments about the mysterious bird. The common agreement is that the mourning doves don't hang out here in the winter time, but this year, there have been sightings. I'll go with the flow and agree that my resting woodpecker was probably a resting dove. I'll also go with Cari's comment that maybe the dove's appearance is a harbinger of an early spring.

So far, so good. Yesterday was magnificent. Today looks the same. Bill and I snow shoed 3.9 miles yesterday to and from a clearcut in the Grouse Creek drainage. We saw hundreds of moose tracks, which make me feel for the moose. When the track goes down about two feet in the snow, one can imagine how tough the going is for the big creatures. That's why we see them in town.

Besides moose tracks, we fed on drop-dead gorgeous scenery. I'll include a few shots from that as well as my first installment from my Washington, D.C.-based correspondent Bryant Jones, who will supply me a Bryant's-eye view of the Inauguration and its fanfare. Thanks so much to Bryant for your thoughts and photos. Snow shoeing photos will appear later below Bryant's submission when my Picasa program decides to work again.

Happy Sunday to all.


Dateline: Washington, D.C., Jan. 17--------It feels like the calm before the storm. It is Saturday, January 17, and the streets are fairly empty. It might be the 20-degree temperatures or people's hesitation to venture downtown because of the expected crowds, but the morning has been quiet.

I have just returned to my apartment building inside the restricted, high security zone set up along the Inaugural parade route up Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol to the White House.This morning, I took a stroll down to the National Mall to see the Inaugural preparations, and it is quite amazing.

The number of port-o-potties on the Mall apparently, sets a record for a single event. Seriously, the things are everywhere! They circle the Washington Monument, line both sides of the Reflecting Pool, and criss-cross the Mall. At the moment, they have a potent bleach odor, but I can only imagine that by Tuesday...well...all I can say is that I feel bad for the people who have to clean them.

Along with the port-o-potties there are huge jumbo screens scattered around the Mall that will broadcast every moment of the Inaugural speech and parade. These huge screens are for the people who were not able to or didn't want to get tickets that require one to go through additional security lines and arrive at 6 a.m. to get a good vantage point. That is where I plan to be on Tuesday to witness the crowds and chaos firsthand.

All street vendors, restaurants, and shops downtown are stocking up on supplies. Today, is the last day deliveries will be allowed inside the restricted area. Mail, food, business supplies, beer services, etc will not be allowed to operate downtown. I have heard restaurant workers plan to sleep on the floors of businesses because getting into the city will be so incredibly difficult.

It is best to walk to the Mall if one lives within a three -mile radius. Biking is an option and there is are free bicycle valets for people that bike in for the events.I will keep you updated on the sights and news. I have attached several pictures for you to enjoy. Bryant

2 comments:

Sharon said...

How about a link to your source for the inauguration? Bryant Jones. Is he a former student?

MLove said...

Bryant is a former student. He sends me emails. His mom is Judge Debra Heise.

I learned this morning that the Keokee crew (the Bessler family, plus one) are posting on a blog: http://inauguralafoot.blogspot.com.

Check it out; they're posting on several items a day.