Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Trickle-Away Economy; No Outrage?


Every time I read about another company cutting 5,000 jobs.

Every time I hear about someone else I know personally losing a job or taking a salary cut.

Every time I see my own resources dwindling because of little or no freelance work.

Every time I read stories like yesterday's where the governor includes education for the first time ever among the list of depressing budget cuts.

Every time I hear of one more scam where an evil money grubber who has screwed a bunch of innocent people of millions of dollars.

Every time I see that guy in New York who bilked his clients 50 billion dollars, surrounded by photographers, what few journalists we have left and an army of police protecting him as he walks to his car from his penthouse, goes to court, comes back and walks back to his penthouse on bail instead of going directly to jail, not passing "Go" and going directly to the slammer.

Every time I hear about these people who have bilked, screwed, stolen, frauded, absconded with, fooled, tricked---you name it----getting protection for their misdeeds, spouting out cocky arrogance that reeks of the lowest form of slimy humanity, pointing their grimy fingers right back at their victims.

Every time I hear a story like the one I listened to on CBS News the other night about how the banks have taken the bail-out money to buy more banks.

Every time I see public officials accused of impropriety, stumble for a moment and then continue with more bravado than ever.

Every time I hear a story like the one I read the other day: Pizza Hut outsourcing its telephone orders to a worker in a foreign country---huh?

Every time I see that generally those directly responsible for all these abominations that have caused our economy to trickle away---rather than even downward---have barely skipped a beat with their lifestyles in comparison to the millions of innocent victims of their greed, stupidity, ignorance, apathy, etc. who are now trying to figure out how they'll eke out their futures . . . .

It makes me livid, and I wonder why there is no national outrage.

I also wonder as we watch cut after cut after cut from virtually every segment of the economy, what Is going to get accomplished with industry, general services and education.

Who will be around to do all the work needed to be done to correct the problems and to maintain any decent standard?

Will those left with jobs be so overburdened and unable to keep ahead of the challenges that the quality of whatever products or services we have left will diminish to a sub-par level----including in our education which is the most important remedy for these debacles?

Scary, if you ask me, cuz the trickling away will only continue with that scenario.

These are just thoughts going through my mind because I keep hearing more and more stories like those mentioned above. I heard another one yesterday, directly affecting my family. Some of the above have directly affected Bill and me over this past year. I am not at liberty to say specifically because the perpetrators are protected by our laws.

Which brings forth another question. WHO is out there protecting the victims? And, how much money will they charge those victims that they're not going to have to pay them once the perpetrators have gotten their share of their resources?

It's a bleak outlook from a person who tries to be positive, and believe me, I do have a lot of hope that some of this will change.

For the time being, however, I have lingering questions that continue to puzzle me, and the one the resonates most often to me is why no national outrage to what this combination of greed, insidious fraud and general apathy has done to our country and its people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word is salvation...I'm told that the government is gonna rescue all us victims...by spending our way out of it!! You can learn more about it by watching the following YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vly2aL-Hxac

For a broader look that will, perhaps, answer all your questions, check the following website:

www.unclejayexplains.com

Glad to be of help!

You're welcome!

:-) MJB

SimplyDarlene said...

Mrs. L,

In our situation, outrage is indeed present at the party, but so is survival. When hard-earned, invested money falls through our fingers and when jobs go by the wayside, one shifts into Survival Mode. Family. Shelter. Food. Medical care.

Since our own struggles, I have had neither the time nor the inclination to rattle someone's cage. But what I have done is draw closer to God. Our whole family has done this. He continues to answer our prayers and our fulfill our needs.

He is also keeping track of the scoundrels and scalawags... When a nation puts prestige and money and rank above God and family and life and honor, that nation will undoubtedly falter.

Oh yes, I would like to open a can of Whoop, but I need to dig for some change stuck down in the couch cushions before I can buy it. ;-)

~ Darlene

Word Tosser said...

Also that Congress voted themselves another $4,000 raise for this year...

And maybe the Gov. will donate his manatory raise to the schools..

Bay Views said...

I wrote a piece on free trade on my blog recently. The Title was,"Free trade isn't free." Your piece here pretty much reflects my attitude. When you ship jobs offshore prices for these products go down. One the other hand, if the consumer doesn't have a job then it doesn't really matter how much cheaper the item is, you still can't buy it. We need to bring back tariffs to level the playing field between our labor force and theirs. tariffs worked for many years and will work again if judiciously applied. It is not the responsibility of this country or our citizens to raise up the economies of third world countries.