Saturday, February 21, 2009

2-robin Saturday and Dirty Hairy Days


Yup, there they were in the sky above about 6:30 this morning, heading south overhead as I went to get the papers. I saw two robins with red breasts. I don't know where they had been or where they were headed, but they were definitely doing their harbinger work.

I didn't mind that they chose not to take a landing at the Lovestead. Any self-respecting, intelligent robin would take one look at our mounds of concrete snow and know for sure there are better birdports somewhere else. They'll be back.

This farm is a robin's roost, for sure. That's one of the first things I noticed when we moved here nearly three years ago. Once spring and summer come, on any given day, I could probably count up to three dozen of them wandering the grounds, digging up worms.


For now, though, they'll have to search elsewhere for green grass and ground thawed enough for them to find some big fat juicy breakfast.

We are blessed with another beautiful day today, although it's a bit frustrating. We're in that transition mode where cold nights mean frost in the morning and warmer afternoons mean mud. It's the dirty season, for sure.

I walked around on my errands yesterday with a big patch of dirt on one pant leg, thanks to the world's dirtiest car and that ridge of wet mud along the running board. Catches you every time you step out or in to the car. Once you notice the mud dubbing, you have to allow it to stay cuz trying to rub off wet mud makes an even bigger mess.

Muddy pant legs and world's dirtiest cars, however, are not limited to just us. They're everywhere, and they're going to continue to be everywhere until winter decides to completely vamoose and spring takes over and dries things out.

We still have break-up on the roads to face. So far, the only rutted road I've seen out in these parts is a section on Hickey Road over to the east. We'll have plenty more before it's over.

And, speaking of dirty things, yesterday I decided to groom horses. I cross tie them at the opening of the barn, where the warmth of the sun meant discarding my jacket after a few minutes. I started with Lefty and ended with Lefty.

One round of rubbing out ground-in dirt and loose hair was enough. I was eating hair, I was rubbing hair off my clothes, and I was thinking that if I did this with three horses, I may look like a woolly woman by the time I headed to the house.

Lefty was surrounded by a carpet of his dirty hair when we finished. And, I'd sampled enough strands of the stuff that I decided that was enough for one day. I came to the house, changed jeans and shirt and headed for town. That's when the car took over on its dirt assault.

There's no winning this time of the year, so we just have to grin and bear it and go squish a lot while walking down the road.

The good thing about this time of the year is pictured above. Cukes are coming along nicely, as are my tomatoes, marigolds, snapdragons and finally, the peppers.

Thanks to the ladies at All Seasons, I learned last weekend that peppers can be persnickedy about germinating. I already suspected that fact with several pepper-planting failures in the past, but the experts confirmed it.

They told me that pepper seed loves warmth and more dirt than most other seed. They suggested putting saran wrap on the pots and putting the pots in a really warm place. Combined with the heat, the saran wrap creates humidity, thus fooling those stubborn little seeds into full-fledged germination.

Well, it worked. One by one, I've been removing the saran wrap and moving the pots from in front of the wood stove to the window shelves. Cuz one by one, little green sprouts have been appearing. The ladies said once they're up, they'll be fine.

Bill and I had a good time at Eichardts last night. Usually we can't get in, not because we're too young, but because the place is always packed. Well, it was crowded last night, but a couple of tables opened up not long after we walked inside. While waiting, we both got lots of visiting in with Sarah Roop and the two Molly's.

All are former students, and all lead fun and interesting lives.

Once at the table, Sandy Compton (also a former student 40 years ago) joined us. We talked hiking and buying locally. Sandy's really in to the latter, and I think he has a point---rather than expending so much energy lamenting the national and world state of things, why not do something where we actually have tangible control.

Support local efforts and do it in a big way. Seems reasonable and it seems like it's an option where we can actually see the fruits of our labors. And, as one who wants to some day market my farm produce, I like the idea.

Enough of that. I've gotta get out there to the barn and then figure out how to make the best of this beautiful day.

Happy Saturday and GO ZAGS---now 20-5. I've heard from some critics that they have a lousy coach, but somehow I'm finding that a little hard to believe.

No comments: