Friday, February 27, 2009

200 Questions

I'm sitting here with a blank brain this morning. Could I write about the cucumbers, marigolds and kale and their leaning tendencies?

About all I could say is that all my little plants are leaning off to a 45-degree angle. They've been doing that for days, only because I haven't turned their pots around.

You see they're sitting on shelves next to the sliding glass door, and there are so many of them lined up along the shelves and such a good chance that if I started turning them around, one by one, some could fall off the shelf, hit the floor, make a big mess and surely die from being jolted and most likely uprooted from their safe little home in the potting soil.

Homeless plants. Now, that's a concept.

The plants will continue to lean toward the outdoor light until I move them to the green house. I do have concerns that they'll get so used to pointing one direction that it could be permanent.

Lovestead's leaning garden. Now, there's a picture.

Corn stalks, 'maters, peppers, zinnias and marigolds, leaning toward Nellie's all over the Lovestead. It could be a phenomenon for visitors to come and behold.

Yup, that's how blank my mind is as I consider what I'm going to write about in Slight Detour this morning. But leaning plants make sense, don't they? After all, they're taking a slight detour from the norm.

I also thought about "Hail Mary's" in the bathtub. Some people chuckled at the museum yesterday when I told one of them that I pray for his well being by saying "Hail Mary's" in my bathtub.

It IS the truth. What better place than the solitude of sitting in warm water and a quiet bathroom with doors shut to pray! Works for me, and since they told me long ago that God is everywhere and God can hear everything, I know he's listening. Cuz, some of the folks I pray for in the tub are getting better, and that is wonderful news.

Still, imagining anyone uttering "Hail Mary's" in the bath tub cuts quite a picture.

I was talking about those "Hail Mary's" yesterday in the museum research room while thumbing through a book about memoirs. See, I have to look like I know something about memoirs for a seminar here in the next month or so. So, I've been doing a lot of this and a lot of that to make it look like I know what I'm talking about.

My sister-in-law Mary was nice enough to send me three samples of memoirs, which, by the way, Mary, I have started reading. I like the comment, made as a disclaimer, by former First Lady Barbara Bush that what she had to say in the pages ahead was "slanted," much like my potted plants.

Yesterday at the museum, I was looking for questions besides all those I've already listed which deal with what everyone wants to know about everyone's life. I found 200 of them in a booklet dealing with people's uniqueness by Frances Marks. So, now, I'm typing them up---on my other computer.

Many are questions already on the list I've been preparing, and then there are some to add.

And, this morning I may even have a few more after I think long and hard about the vacuum in my brain.

How about:

Why do you say "Hail Mary's" in the bath tub? Don't you have a God tree for such things?

What is the weirdest outcome you've ever experienced with a leaning tomato?

What do you do when you face a computer screen on a Friday morning in late February and you have nothing to say?

Answer: You go to the bath tub, say a few "Hail Mary's" and hope something comes of it all.

There. Done.

I'll skip the bath tub, go across the living room, stand at an angle and water my plants.

No comments: