Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hope springs eternal in North Idaho



We're halfway between winter and spring. That means dirty snow and a lot of water. It's difficult to find the
beauty at times, but it's there.

And, almost always a trip along the north shore of Lake Pend Oreille will ease the search.

It was a wet day yesterday, clouds covering the mountains, lots of early slop foretelling lots more slop to come.

I took a late afternoon drive to Hope and almost to Clark Fork, via the old highway where the Denton curves scared every young driver around--and the passengers even more---back through the 1960s.
Now, it's pretty quiet up there. I met just one car and had the road to myself.

The turnouts aren't quite what we see on the new highway below, but they're there, and I stepped out of the car a few times to snap some photos.

Heavy rain clouds made the photos in most cases, and I was lucky to catch a hint of sun during my drive through the area.

It won't be long before little patches of green, just emerging from the melting snow will create a whole new picture, and I'll have to go out there again with my camera.

I never tire of the duty. Spring will come soon, I hope.

No comments: