Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday Slight



I wonder how many times in our lives we'll ask ourselves and then answer our own question. Is this technology worth it all? Yes, when it works.

This morning I have a digital camera which refuses to send photos to my computer. The one message I get is "One moment please." Well, that was several moments ago, three changes of batteries, taking the cord out, reinserting it, turning the camera off, turning it on.

One moment please!

Well, to heck with that.

I had pictures---not very good ones---of two giant moose who paid a visit yesterday. I could tell there were visitors when Lefty stopped eating and stared over toward the woods while I was walking to the house. I looked the same direction, and, sure enough, a huge, dark creature stood near the fence looking back at me.

It seemed in no hurry so I went to the house, grabbed the camera and came out to take pictures. That's when Kea decided she needed to tell the visitor where to go. I called her back and moved closer snapping photos, knowing the moose would blend into the trees.

Still, there's something in our souls that tells us to take pictures no matter how bad they're going to be. Bad pictures lend credibility to stories. Good pictures put folks in awe.

As Kea came back to the yard, still barking, I noticed movement. Another big creature had been blocked from view by our large flower bed. It trotted toward its friend. Then, both stood and stared as I walked into the first pasture and clicked. Finally they plodded along their way.

And, I had bad pictures.

I have good pictures of another phenomenon of yesterday's Friday, the 13th. Actually, nothing went wrong throughout the entire day. The sun was brilliant, I was able to get a hold on several writing projects by noon. So, I called Mother.

Be ready in 45 minutes, I told her. We're going up to Bonners and check out that Mennonite bakery. She was finishing a crossword and said she just needed to put on her shoes. So, I drove over in half an hour instead of 45 minutes.

"You're already here," she said, "I'm not ready. I'm putting on my eye brows." Guess she forgot that when we spoke on the phone. Anyway, eyebrows, shoes and all, she scurried to head off on the afternoon drive.

Well, I'm sick not to be able to show my photos of the goodies purchased from the Bread Basket Country Store and Bakery. My goodies included a shoo fly pie (my first ever experience), three gigantic, light, adequately frosted cinnamon rolls and a loaf of white bread. Mother picked up a trio of pecan rolls and a loaf of bread.

Then, we drank coffee, and I made faces of great approval with every mouth-watering bite of the a large fresh donut, chased by a gingersnap crafted and baked to perfection. They were moments of eating delight as we sat amidst a roomful of satisfied customers enjoying the same.

Dorothy and Darrel Chupp own the bakery while Sharon and Norv Skivseth own the adjoining store which features bulk foods, jerky, wooden toys, trinkets and such. Dorothy was nice enough to take a few minutes from working in the kitchen to visit with us.

She and her husband came to Bonners Ferry nine years ago from Due West, South Carolina. Darrel grew up in South Carolina while Dorothy hails originally from Pennsylvania. A trip to visit a sister drew them here as did the hunting opportunities. Darrel told me they opened the place Dec. 9 and have no regrets. In fact, they're already planning an addition.

From the looks of the busyness I saw with people coming and going, I can see why.

Folks were coming in for a bowl of homemade soup. Some took slips from the counter and marked the ingredients for their sandwiches-----turkey, ham, roast beef, (add 75 cents for bacon), swiss, cheddar, provolone or colby cheese, sprouts, lettuce, tomato, onions, mayo, mustard or ranch on honey wheat or white bread---fresh baked, of course.

Dorothy told me they even have Wi-Fi there, which prompted me to say that next time I'll bring my laptop, so I can record some of the sights, sounds, aromas and flavors, straight from the bread basket---and I can do it live.

Anyway, it's a must-visit place. They're not open on Sundays and Mondays, so remember that, but they're easy to find---one moment north of the Three Mile Junction on the left side of HWY 95.

Mother and I totally enjoyed our visit, and Bill totally enjoyed his Valentine's cinnamon roll this morning. Last night, we dug into the shoo fly pie, warmed it up and sampled it with French vanilla ice cream. DELICIOUS!

Well, I'm still looking over at "One Moment Please," and I'm wondering just what it will take to get that camera and this computer to speak to each other. What a thing to pull----on Valentine's Day no less!

As I type my blog posting, Bill is getting stuff ready to take the fairgrounds where he will join Silvy, the local mapmaker, and talk about one of his loves---on Valentine's Day and all days of the year----geocaching. He gave me a yellow rose for planting outside later in the spring. Along with the rose came a card---a singing one----with Sonny and Cher teaming up---back when they were married---to "I've Got You, Babe."

Well, I've got Bill, and this is the 35th year for us to celebrate Valentine's Day---lot longer than Sonny and Cher lasted.

So, on this Valentine's Day, we at the Lovestead send LOVE (ya know it comes in so many varieties) to all of you out there. And, I hope you enjoy it for one moment and for many moments to come.

Meanwhile, I've got to have a talk with my camera.

No comments: