Friday, March 27, 2009

Thank you, it's Friday


Thank you, God and Mother Nature, for shining down on us yesterday. It was a lovely, invigorating day, not to be wasted, not to be taken for granted.


At the Lovestead, fencing and making reservations for a big trip topped the agenda. There was more---watching Dan and Terry Wood's house project two pastures over to the north. Yesterday was the day the house moving crew came to put the structure on its foundation.

Dan, his brother-in-law, Mark Johnson and crew have worked diligently for several weeks preparing the spot and building a foundation where the house will permanently reside and provide a lovely residence in the middle of beautiful open fields for Dan and Terry.

I purposely fixed fence at the high end of our lane so I could watch any dramatic action at the Wood's house site. Throughout the day, it was obvious that site preparation was continuing as heavy equipment operated and people busily walked around the area.

At 5 p.m. it looked as if the long-awaited move was starting. The big yellow truck, which had brought the house to Selle last fall from it original spot on Schweitzer Cut-off Road, had moved from its winter parking spot to the south end of the yellow house. I heard the motor rev up and saw some movement.

I called Bill, who had come home early, and told him to get over there---the house was moving. Well, it went forward just a few feet and stopped. We watched for several minutes as people walked from place to place, apparently doing a lot of observing and planning for the next segment of the project. A steam shovel scooped out some more dirt, and the house stayed in place.

It's still in the same spot this morning, so we could see some dramatic action over there today. Only problem for me is that I finished that fencing project, and I'll have to make several trips that way to watch.

We still have hundreds of feet of goat wire and flimsy fences around this place. Last fall three strands near a section along the lane that had miraculously kept the horses in the second pasture gave way.

I was responsible for that mishap. I had walked out into the pasture with the whip and had twirled it a time or two to show my friend Rose Marie how pretty my Arabs were when they pranced through the field. Well, they pranced right on through the wire, removing all semblance of a fence.


So, yesterday I found a spool of woven wire, tall enough and long enough for that very section. I loaded up hammer, fence pliers, staples and clamps in the wheel barrow and headed toward the spot for several hours of work. It was good work in that wonderful sunshine, though, and for once, I finished a project that actually looks like it will do the job and keep the horses where they belong.

Later, I also felt great satisfaction in being able to stretch three loose wires on another segment of fence along the lane. It's easier said than done to fix the fence after snow bogs it down all winter, but those fence pliers and their leverage provided me enough power to get those wires up where they belong.

Yesterday was also good for more lawn, rock and log raking. I even took a walk through the hayfield. That brief adventure turned soggy, however, when I was just ten feet from reaching the gate to the woods.

I thought I was home free and that I'd made it past the area where deep water is hiding beneath the snow. Just as that confidence made me smile, one foot sank clear to the ground. Cold, cold water surrounded my boot and pant leg. I fell to my knees.

When that happens, you know you're in for more cuz you've got to get out of there. That means taking more steps which will nine times out of ten meaning sinking into the icy cold water again. Moreover, it's not made any easier when a dog is coming to your rescue, licking your face and jumping all over your back.

Well, I finally managed to sink my way to the woods. From that point on, it didn't matter where I fell through. I couldn't get any wetter or colder. I made it to the house, shed the wet stuff and welcomed the warmth of dry socks and pants.

Later, we joined Mike, Mary and Mother at the Thompson cabin for a nice dinner and visit. We're all reveling in the fact that Mother received an excellent report from her cardiologist and the go-ahead signal for her to fly to Chicago in May for a family reunion. So, part of the yesterday was spent getting trip logistics nailed down.

The Chicago experience should be a fun weekend, filled with family history and topped off a Cubs game. Mother has always regretted never getting to go to a Cubs game while living in and visiting Chicago, so we're going to do our best to change that.

Today is a thankful day for many reasons, and it's beginning to look a lot like spring. We're thankful for that, and we'll be especially grateful if our beloved ZAGS top off this Friday of March Madness with a victory over North Carolina.

GO ZAGS! WELCOME SPRING! AND, MANY THANKS FOR GOOD BLESSINGS!

No comments: