Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday-night riding lessons



It's a summer staple---riding lessons at the Tibbs Arabians. Miss Lily and I will go tonight and possibly every Wednesday night for the remainder of the summer. My sister Barbara has been teaching riding lessons for years. She's good too.

Barbara has taught dozens of riders---young and old---everything from how to get on that horse to how to attain more finesse with their dressage. Her skills are always in demand as a clinician or as a judge. More than 40 years of working with horses day in and day out have made her one of the best and most effective riding instructors around this area.

I've even been under her tutelage a time or two, and she's been pretty gentle and kind to her big sister. In spite of that, I won't be taking lessons. Instead, I'll take Lily over there so Laurie can ride her in the indoor arena with other horses and other distractions.

Barbara will probably watch Laurie and give her some tips on how to keep Lily going on an upward course, as far as her learning is concerned. Laurie came over to the Lovestead yesterday and saddled her up for the first time since we brought her home last Thursday.

It was Laurie's first ride since Lily's second grade and my second. I took her for a spin down South Center Valley Road on Sunday, and when Laurie asked me how she did, I said, "I think you're going to like her."

She did.

Laurie went away quite pleased with Lily's progress. Like I had noticed on Sunday, Lily shifts into gear with ease---and stays there. That's a big improvement over her maiden year as a riding horse. Both Laurie and I killed our leg muscles getting her to move last year. And, when we did insist on moving faster, Lily showed us----she bucked.

Well, she's still got some buck in her, but she seems to have learned that if she does stuff right, she doesn't have to work so long. That's how it went yesterday---lots of rewards with pats and even some extra grain after her bath.

We're looking forward to seeing how the big girl does in the show rings this summer. If yesterday was any indication, she should take a ribbon or two. That's always nice, but the best part is having a young horse with the basics down pat and knowing that many good years of riding lie ahead.

And, when you have a pretty thing like Miss Lily, it's all the more fun.

So, it's off to another day of yard and garden work with visions of fun stuff tonight at the riding lessons. When Laurie's finished, I always get my token ride so it's good family time for all of us horse lovers.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: