Thursday, October 01, 2009

Horse talk



Lily Love, here. I'm the one on the right, just in case ya didn't know.

That's Heather next to me. Heather doesn't know it, but she has brushed with a little regional fame.

Earlier this week in the Spokesman-Review, there was a front-page article with a picture of sculpture and a big bold headline which read

"In Scouts' Honor."

Well, this weekend, on Saturday, that sculpture is going to be dedicated where it will stand forever in Spokane's Riverfront Park to honor the Boy Scouts of America and their scoutmasters.

The lady who sculpted it is Debra Copenhaver-Fellows, and she made all the arrangements with Mom Love last October for Heather to come and live with me here in Sandpoint.

Debra's stepfather, Dean Dinnison, was a scoutmaster in Spokane for 50 years. So Debra, who's also done the Vietnam Memorial in Riverfront Park and the Bing Crosby statue at Gonzaga University, used Dean and his scouts as inspirations for her fine work of art.

Dean died in his sleep last October. In his pasture were six horses who needed homes.
That's how Heather got to come to Sandpoint. The family gave her to Mom Love, and then Mom Love decided that Willie and Debbie needed to co-own a horse. So, their name appears on her Arabian registration papers.

Heather is okay. I pick on her a lot, but she still loves me, and I guess she's a keeper. She likes to hang out with with me. I guess that's cuz we both have white hair and we're girls.

We just kinda let Lefty do his own thing, which, as you can see from the photo below, involves a little R and R now and then.

I got plenty of rest yesterday because I'd heard Mom Love was gonna take me on another one of those long trail rides today.

I think we're going with other horses on this ride, so I can kinda visit with them while Mom Love gabs away to her friends, Janice and Kim.

It's gonna rain here for a couple of days, so maybe after today's ride, I'll get a little rest.

Happy Thursday to all my horse friends and to you humans too!

No comments: