Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Everybody needs a Selle Club



At 90 years old, plus a week, Ina Jacobson is NOT the oldest member of Selle Extension Club.

Wilma Erickson holds that title.

Nevertheless, yesterday was Ina's special day at the monthly Selle Club meeting.

I figured out yesterday that I'm the second youngest member of the club. Linda Rutherford was born in August, 1947, while I was born in June that year.

Age does not draw lines at Selle Club, however.

Some of us young 'uns sit in awe of those who've been members since the 1930s.

If there were ever true role models to emulate, they're not necessarily and not often found on television screens.

Instead, institutions like Selle Club are havens for such inspiring folks.

I treasure my membership of this club because, as I watch all the insanity that seems to go on in the world, I can show up at a club meeting and renew my sense of what's truly good about the human condition in this world.

Yesterday, Selle Club women showed off shawls they made. Then, they talked about retirement/elderly care centers where they could deliver them.

Instead of bringing gifts for each other to the annual Christmas luncheon, Dione suggested that each lady bring a toy for the Toys for Tots.

The club has a canning jar full of cash that's been donated during every meeting this past year.

The club also has a new family from the Northside School area for whom they'll spend that cash. Three of the ladies love to go do the shopping every year for the family.

The ladies gave their recipes for the cookbook shown below.

And, the ladies celebrated Ina's birthday yesterday.

There is a feeling of warmth, friendship and caring among the membership.

And, there are the colorful stories of past times. That's the part I love the most.

I submit that if this world had a lot more Selle Clubs which exist simply for sincere humanitarian causes and for down-to-earth, unpretentious friendship, we'd all have better days.

Because of its abundant shining examples, Selle Club keeps me grounded in what's really important about the way we live our lives.

I feel blessed to be among the membership.

No comments: