Monday, December 21, 2009

Love this day!


The countdown is over! We have reached the shortest day of the year. Winter solstice, according to a chart I just found, occurs at 9:47 PST this morning. So, whatever you're doing at that moment (figure out your own time zone), take time to celebrate.


After today, here in North Idaho, we get to see more light each day, and, believe me, after the past three or four days of dark fog and abundant rain, a little more light on the subject will be very welcome.

But we have to get through today. The fortunate part about winter solstice in these digs is that there's so darn much to do, one has little time to worry about darkness and light, so hopefully today will speed by quickly, and we'll be noticing a pleasant change soon.

This morning, I'm going to play Garrison Keillor and use my blog to send out a few specific messages, so feel free to eavesdrop.

To Robyn in New Zealand, the package arrived. I loved the photo album and, as always, your letter. Yes, the goosebumps still come on every time I hear from you and think of the wonderful time Annie and I spent there----six years ago. Hard to believe.

I'm saving the DVD for when Annie comes home (that will be tomorrow night), and we'll watch it together. And, yes, when Gisele's new CD comes out, I want to be first on your list.

Finally, I am sending you something---just haven't had time to put it together since coming home, but it will be in the mail one of these days. For the time being, please know that I loved hearing from you and we send our love to you and all of your family. And, dear Robyn, DO start that blog; it will be on my links as soon as the first posting hits the Web.

~~~~~~

To Mary,
I have read your note about the Christmas night bonfire and have brought up the subject to Bill. At this point, it's undecided. Weather will play a factor as everything around these parts is soggy, soggy, soggy. That could change, though, after today as it's supposed to turn colder.

So, we'll keep lobbying. At the very least, we can certainly get together out here north of the bridge for dessert Christmas night.

I must tell you that Bill is a bit reluctant about the bonfire, only because of his awful memories of the last one we had at the Lovestead, when he and Willie had the effects of food poisoning coming on and had a hard time enjoying the festive party. This year, we'll keep him away from any bleu cheese dressing which might have sat out too long. So, I'm thinking the thumbs are on their way up for some kind of outdoor celebration.

~~~~~~
To Janet,

I saw "Squat Bod" Friday night at Slate's. He told me he was "out trolling." Of course, he had Bill with him so I don't know if either one of them hooked on to anything. Bill did tell Debbie he liked her hair, though.

It was great to see them both, and we did have a few quick belly laughs----just like the old days. I told him I'd be sure to document my "Squat Bod" sighting on the blog.

~~~~~~

To Cathy Russell from down there on Center Valley Road,

We LOVED the neighborhood get-together yesterday. It was great to see so many familiar faces. Thank you for inviting us.

And, I must mention that if anyone sees Bert Wood, tell him once more how good the fudge was.

And, Cathy, after we returned home, I pulled out the second Beautiful Bonner and went to the page about the Center Valley School and its teacherage.

It was neat to enjoy the party in your house and to imagine so many years ago how it played such an integral role in the era of one-room schoolhouses. I still think it needs to be put on an historic register.

Maybe we need to start an official Selle/Center Valley register where we can document all the wonderful historical spots around this neighborhood. I'm sure there are some colorful stories to go along with each.

Thanks again for a great neighborhood gathering.

~~~~~~

Well, that's enough personal messages. It's time to get moving and finish the last of the projects for festive time ahead. Happy Monday to all, and may more light shine upon you in the upcoming days!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!! This is the day I look forward to most of all, I am a fanatic about it really. Starting tomorrow you can look at weatherunderground.com and see how much more light we receive each day!

Anonymous said...

We're looking forward to seeing everybody, bonfire or no bonfire.

Soggy here, too, but it's not dampening the holiday spirits on Heath Court.

Mary

Anonymous said...

I'll bring my didgeridoo for the bonfire...

Anonymous said...

Rick told me he had been out trolling with Bill. I was really worried about that - or not. Thanks for mentioning that today was the shortest day. I can't wait until tomorrow when it will be longer.
Janet