Wednesday, January 27, 2010

When the phone doesn't ring . . . .


Our phone has been relatively quiet lately. In fact, the caller ID shows only one call for yesterday and fewer than ten calls over the past three days. In yesterday's case, it was a call back after I'd left a number to arrange an appointment.


I haven't really minded this comparative silence, but, at times, I wonder if it's a sign of how my professional future may go. After all, freelancing opportunities are pretty unpredictable.

I remember an October week the fall after I had retired of reaching a point when deadlines had been met, all loose ends had been tied up, and the phone quit ringing so often.


At that time, I assumed that surely the end of my professional relevance had arrived. I worried because I was only 55 at the time, and it was nice to earn a little extra money. A few days later, my worries dissipated as the phone began to sound off again with assignments, requests, etc.

This year the phone has stopped ringing for a number of reasons. Most obviously, things get done by email more often than by phone. Also, freelance opportunities have dried up again.

In one case, I turned down an opportunity to engage in a big writing job because of where a major portion of the work would need to occur. Too far from home, too much time spent away. Knowing the other responsibilities on my plate requiring me to be close at hand, I declined the opportunity.

Still, I felt a little guilty and a bit uneasy that this decision might shut the door for other less demanding writing gigs. I don't know if that assumption will turn out to be true, but for now, I'm feeling a sense of calm that I haven't known in years. And, it's not all that bad.

It's nice that the phone isn't ringing so often with requests, but there's the other side of the coin too. Relevance. I think we all worry at times about just when ours will begin fading. And, a sure sign is when the phone doesn't ring.

At times like this, I've learned it's important to reassess our relevance. Is the constant grind of putting out story after story after story my only relevance in life? Well, it's a big one, for sure, but there are the other dimensions of what we do on this earth also. Seems like we often cast them aside as secondary concerns.

And, when it comes down to it, I believe those concerns are just as important. The difference is they seldom net a paycheck or a headline. Of late, I've been quite happy to have an open schedule, like the one I'm facing today. The weather is nice, the roads are clear, and I think it's time to take my mother for a drive.

No paycheck, no headline, but I'm betting the benefits will far outweigh either of the aforementioned. It will make her day. She'll get out of the house, and she'll have new and different experiences to share with friends and family. Plus, we'll probably have a good time because my mother LOVES road trips.

The beauty in all this is that I have no set agenda, and I don't know which way I'm going to steer that car. That suspense adds to the anticipation of the day ahead.

This week I've also had time to brew up some more of my apple jelly, which I like to give as gifts when people do nice things for us. I've gotten a good start on my second planter for the front yard. I've ridden my horse. The bird feeders are cleaned out so that the stinky muck will not deter them from enjoying a good meal of sunflower seeds.

Heck, I even had time yesterday to spend 45 minutes learning about an exciting concept a local friend is pursuing. That lesson took place at Yoke's parking lot, where I'm sure a lot of important business, news and opinion gets discussed.

I've also accomplished several other projects this week to benefit those other than myself, and it's feeling rather satisfying. As I said to one friend this week, I'm enjoying life. The reality is, however, that there will come a time when I want to enjoy life which involves spending some money.

Maybe by the time that comes, the phone will have rung again, and I'll once again be overwhelmed with too much work, too many deadlines and that all-too-familiar stress load. For now, however, I'm breathing easy.

And, the silence from that telephone is golden.

No comments: