Friday, February 19, 2010

This and That Friday


This morning I noticed for the first time that we had a hint of daylight before 6 a.m. Of course, that discovery, coupled with the fact that the sky to the east was clear of clouds and filled with blue, got my juices going for another wonderful day ahead.


We all needed that after the disappointment of watching Gonzaga lose last night to Loyola Merrymount. It was one of those "disbelief" games, a game Gonzaga was surely going to win. Well, Loyola had other ideas, and when a group of determined players gives it their all, good things are going to happen for one team and bad for the other.

We happened to be on the losing end last night, but with the good early spring weather we've been having, it wasn't so devastating as it could have been. I'm sure the Zags will pick up the pieces and take on Pepperdine tomorrow with renewed vigor.

That's how it is with defeat. You have to absorb the kick in the gut, think about it, pick yourself off the floor or from wherever you're licking your wounds and move on. I did so last night by getting that tax envelope out and making some significant progress on the results of last year's spending. And, I'm feeling better about that progress this morning.

The one thing I know for sure after doing last night's segment of ciphering is that my horses sure do cost a lot of money. I'm working on some stories for Sandpoint Magazine about the local horse industry, and all I have to do is provide my tax statement to show that these critters contribute a lot more to their world than piles of equine apples.

Consider hay, grain, supplements, veterinary bills, farrier costs, transportation needs, gasoline, fencing materials, construction materials, tack, gravel for barns and arenas, shavings for stalls, rubber stall mats, training, clinics, etc., and a lot of dollars go back into the economy because of the hundreds of horse owners in this area.

Oh yeah, it costs to buy those horses too, and that can vary from a free hand-out to thousands of dollars.

I don't feel bad, knowing how much I spend on my three horses, but I do get quite a shock every year at tax time. In my stories, I'm not going to have too much difficulty showing why they're worth every penny. So, it all evens out.

When I opened my in-box this morning, the first item I saw was a note from Bob Lange with the subject line indicating that our beloved Monsignor Tim O'Donovan is a "Renaissance man." Included was a link which evolved from a story local writer Dave Gunter did a while back about our delightful Irish Monsignor, who's known for telling a joke or two at Mass and at weddings.

Well, folks, our dear Monsignor Tim could become an Internet sensation if this You-tube video travels enough places around the world. In addition, I guarantee a worldful of chuckles once viewers have heard his joke. So, I'll provide the link and suggest that if you listen and like, pass it on. Here 'tis. You may need to cut and paste the address into your browser window.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnIUc50so8#watch-main-area)


Now, I guess I'd better hurry up and finish this up so I can go watch Tiger do his penance on worldwide TV so he can play in the Master's with a guilt-free conscience.

For some reason, I think the Monsignor's You-tube performance will be more meaningful.

Happy Friday.

No comments: