Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Late start


Early to bed and early to rise makes a humanoid healthy, wealthy and wise. I thought I needed to be politically correct with that. Maybe I can get a job updating all the aphorisms coined so long ago when "men" did everything.


For example, nowadays, it should read, "All work and no play make Jack and Jill mighty dull people." We have to change the verb and maybe throw in an adverb to dress it up a bit, but I'm sure it's now much more acceptable to today's audience.

Of course, there may be a little political incorrectness in that update because I'm picking on the Jack's and Jill's of the world, probably thanks to an association with my past. After all, it was a long time ago that I learned about Jack and Jill going up that hill to get that water.

Now, with a little age on me, I'm thinking that it might not have been very logical for Jack and Jill to carry that bucket (wonder who would be carrying it today) to the top of a hill to get some water. Seems like they might have wasted a lot of energy cuz doesn't water run downhill?

Still, I believed that they did climb the hill way back when, so Jack and Jill and their bucket and the fact that they were working really hard and were probably really boring people has stuck with me for a long, long time. Hence, I couldn't come up with "All work and no play make Amber and Felix really dull people.

How did I get off on this anyway? Oh yeah, the "early to bed" stuff. Here's how it deals with my history. I went to bed early last night and intended to rise early so I could keep up my health, my wealth and my wisdom. Something got in the way of my good intentions, and it wasn't the road to Hell.

I awakened at about 2:15 and couldn't get back to sleep for more than an hour. I thought about everything that happened yesterday and everything that's supposed to happen today and everything I'm supposed to get done on my "all work, no play" schedule, and it all kept me struggling to get back to sleep.

So, when I did finally doze off about 3:30 this morning, I slept almost an hour later than usual. That discovery turned into a "haste makes waste" morning as I rushed around, trying to make up for lost time.

Things did not fall into place the way they're supposed to, and my brain was in a frenzy because the routine had been smashed to smithereens. (What ARE smithereens, anyway)?

Long story short, I'm still in a "haste makes waste" mode as I try to finish this blog posting by the regular time. My fingers are confused, though, along with my brain, and I'm not sensing a lot of wisdom dribbling out on to the clipboard. Just a bunch of boring stuff coming from a lady who does all work and no play.

So, ya know what I'm gonna do about it on this lovely Wednesday. I'm gonna play. Cuz "shoes on the feet, shoes on the feet; my mare Lily, she's got shoes on the feet." So, I'm gonna use some of this day riding down the road on my pretty mare who now has "shoes on her feet."

I'm still running a little late and must get the work done before the play begins. So, a quick good bye and a wish that your day will be filled with a little play. After all, none of us humanoids want to be called boring, right?

No comments: