Monday, April 26, 2010

Oh, the people in my life . . . .


I had a bad encounter with some strangers last week.  The incident was one which I may write about some day but not for a while.  All I'll say is that for it to happen on a beautiful day in our friendly, outgoing town of Sandpoint was heart-breaking and literally sickening at best.  

Words from the mind of a naive soul?  Maybe.  Admittedly so.  I don't mind being naive, and I also don't mind saying that I have always preferred to see the best in people.  In this case, I was stunned and saddened that people can be so vicious, especially to whom and about whom they know nothing. 

Seems like there's so much of that happening in our world these days.  I'm  puzzled as to why civility and respect for others has taken such a hit in recent times.  I know that a lot of this results from the constant supply of  hateful, untrue items that get spread around the Internet. 

I know that it also comes from the need for 24-hour cable networks to fill up their time with trivial conflict, most of which wouldn't have amounted to a "zit on a cowboy's butt," in the grand scheme of things.  My dad used a similar metaphor when he was talking about true horsemen vs. drug store cowboys.

These days so many minor infractions in people's behavior are blown so far out of proportion, I often wonder what we'd do if we had a REAL problem show up in the news.  Would we pass it by for something more titillating?  

Maybe that question in itself is naive, and maybe we've already spent more time focusing on trivia than on the real issues that make a difference to the population as a whole.

If one were to use the Internet or "the news" as sole basis for a blanket judgment of the people that live in America, I'm afraid we might be a little mad a lot of the time.  Cuz it ain't a pretty picture.

That's where I come back to the "people in my life."  Every time I fill out a form or label myself,  the phrase "people lover" is on the list.  It's been a lifelong passion for me----probably why I became a school teacher and a journalist.  What better combination to fulfill my need to constantly meet new people with new ideas, talents, experiences, etc. and to enjoy their stories. 

Also, what better way to constantly have a pretty good pulse on the real people who serve as the backbone for this nation.  Along my way, I've been privileged either to instruct or to write about thousands of decent, hard-working, respectful, contributing, visionary, dedicated, talented, friendly, salt-of-the-earth people.  

They're out there.  I can tell you that for sure because I've got the stories to prove it.  

I enjoyed such an occasion yesterday when Billie Jean, my editor from Sandpoint Magazine, told me I was welcome to go along when phenomenal photographer "DO," pronounced DOE, a French lady who came to Sandpoint via New Orleans, would work her magic in the midst of lush green pastures with snow-capped mountain backdrops.  

Her subjects were six people I had profiled for a segment of the magazine's upcoming horse package.  I was given the opportunity to select these folks from among all the horse people I know.  I used a somewhat scientific gage to choose them----gender, geographic location within the county,  varying horse interests and backgrounds.  

Some of them knew each other; others met for the first time.  Two hours later, eight new friends (that included Do and me) got into their cars and headed home with big smiles on their faces along with some great reflections of a "made in Heaven" photo shoot.  

The early evening light from a setting sun cooperated.  The horses cooperated.  The green grass was tall and plentiful.  Even the "before-dusk"  moon made an appearance. 

The scenes were stunning, to say the least.  And, Do, carrying her camera and racing from place to place, was like a kid in a candy store, snapping each new picture.  I acted as her assistant----klutzy but helpful.  

The images will appear in the next Sandpoint Magazine, and I'm thinking some of  the blossoming friendships formed last night  will continue for a long, long time.  

Yesterday served as another reminder for me that we need not let the negative forces that constantly drag us down dominate our thoughts.   If we can concentrate on the good times and reflect  on the fact that most people with whom we come in contact do not represent the perceptions conveyed by our media.   

It also reminds us that the few negative encounters we endure are just that--few and wishfully forgettable.  

I know the latter is easier said than done, but I'll keep working on it while rejoicing in the fact that I'm a lucky person to have the opportunity so often to see and report on the true gems whose genuine goodness makes up for a few bad apples.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me share your porch last week. I loved having a chance to sit and talk in your beautiful yard. And I am glad I was there to commiserate with you about the bad encounter.
Janet

Anonymous said...

I don't know what your bad encounter was, but don't let it bother you for too long. I read your blog everyday and your zest for life is an inspiration for me to be more like you!

Joanne T.