Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dear Hearts and Gentle People


Dear Bill,

Happy 36th anniversary.  Thank you for the card and loving words.  They meant so much.  

I think it would be fun to go to The Dive on our anniversary.  On Facebook this morning, I saw photos of the Schoonover family having a "whooping up" good time there at the after-graduation party Saturday night.  

I don't expect you to ride the mechanical bull, nor do I expect to climb aboard either.  And, we'll stay off that outdoors balcony,  overlooking First Avenue. 

I've heard the State has told them that's a no go anyway, and that was after my friend Mike speculated on when the first drunk would go hurling over the fence and land on top of a cattle truck rolling through downtown Sandpoint.

Well, maybe he didn't suggest the cattle truck scenario, but the likelihood is certainly there.

The Dive folks kept advertising on K102 that their food IS no more than $9 a plate, so in these hard economic times, I think we should keep it cheap, and certainly The Dive connotes the proper spirit, in its name alone.  

I wonder if they serve ribs. 

Speaking of ribs, I'd invite Willie and Debbie to join us, but they may be attending the faculty picnic this afternoon.  After all, it's the LAST day of school, which brings me to some other letters I need to write.

Before doing that, though, here's another "love" note.

~~~~~
Dear Kevin and Joyce, 

Happy 42nd anniversary. Wasn't it just yesterday when John Pucci stood up for you at your wedding at the Whitworth Presbyterian Church?  Didn't John Pucci do that with everyone back in those days.  Heck, then he started marrying people, probably because he had so much prior experience as a groomsman.  

Does that mean John Pucci's a pretty nice guy?  I'd say so.

And, then, as I recall from that June day, our little brother Jim wasn't too keen on being the ringbearer.  He was pretty young at the time, so we'll give him a pass.  A few years later, he did okay at Bill's and my wedding, even though he was disappointed to be the only guy in the wedding party without a mustache.

Well, anyway, have a great anniversary on this special day that we share.
~~~~~
Back to the school stuff

~~~~~

Dear Esther,

So, you're finally hanging it up.  I'd say it's about time; after all, you're five years younger than I am, and I retired from SHS eight years ago.

Esther, you were always a great friend on staff.  Your sense of humor was supreme, and I can remember lots of moments in the faculty room when you called it like it was, and we laughed our crazy heads off.

You were so dedicated to your kids in the home ec department, and I know they all loved you.  

I still can't forgive you for thinking I was SO much older than you, but I guess those days back in 4-H times when you came from Priest River and I came from Sandpoint might have skewed your view of me. After all, there was a bit of a rivalry between the the communities, wasn't there?

I'm sure you may have thought I was really old cuz I taught Ernie, your beloved husband.  But that was in the beginning, so I was pretty young then.

Anyway, Esther, I've always thought of you as a true blue friend and wonderful colleague.  Best of luck in your retirement, and may we meet again often to laugh over the old times.

~~~~
Dear Betsy,

Where does one start?  First, I'll wish you the best.  You rank right up there as one of the most energetic, enthusiastic fun people I've ever met.  The school system in this area is saying good bye to a treasure when you put in your last day as principal of Kootenai School.

By the way, you spearheaded a mighty nice centarian celebration for the school, and what a party with all the old and the new of Kootenai coming together!

I'm honored to have spent some years teaching with you at SHS.  And, so thankful to you when Annie was coming along, and Dick Sodorff finally decided I could leave the drill team in someone else's hands, those belonging to Betsy Walker.

And, I'll never forget the days of "dress-up" as we staff members gathered at the Walker house. 

You inspired so many people over your career, and your gardening skills are beyond belief.  Welcome to the other side, and when you get that phenomenal garden going good down the road, give me a call.  I'd love to see it.

~~~~~
Dear Mike Mc.,

I can still hear your voice booming next door in Room 3 from my perch in Room 4.  You loved your literature, and it was apparent from the passion that came out your door, down the hallway and into my room.  

As English teachers, we shared a lot of the same students over the years.  It was always fun to send my kids on to you and to assure them that they would be learning from a truly dynamic literature teacher.  

We were sad to see Marian go from Dr. Lawrence's office, but we understood that you were heading on to retirement also.  

Best wishes to one fine educator and friend.  I wonder if now is the time to tell folks that the first time I heard that Willie had been hired by the school district was at the Colburn Landfill, straight from you.  I loved that. 

Here's hoping Willie will follow in your footsteps and in those of so many other fine SHS teachers, leaving the impact that you did on your students.

Happy retirement, and don't spend too much time on John's houseboat. 

~~~~~
Dear Mike K,

I never really taught with you, but I have truly fond memories.  Of course, the funniest goes back to the days when I occupied Portable 2 clear out there in the hinterlands, far from the main high school.  

You taught PE at the middle school, and in the spring when you'd take your class out to the football practice field, my fifth period boys would come running into the room, slam their books down on their desks, run to the window, open it wide and then yell, "KEEEEE OH,  KEEEEE OH" every single day.  

I often wondered if you had a few inaudible/unprintable responses for them.

What I'll remember most about you, Mike, is what you did for my daughter, and I'll always appreciate it.

You coached and encouraged Annie through four years of varsity golf, and what a difference your influence made in her life and her self esteem.  I can't remember how many times she made it to state, but that experience was a highlight of her high school years.  Thank you.

Can't say Annie is doing much golfing now; instead, she's a geocaching/soccer/mountain climbing fiend.  And, since you're retiring, I'll bet anything that Annie would love to come to Sandpoint sometime and show you the ropes of geocaching.

Best wishes to you for the rest of your life.  Who knows?  Maybe some day you can move on up from Senator's First Dude to the First Dude of Idaho.  I still think Shawn should run for governor.

~~~~~~
Pat,

I know you and your hubby read the blog every day, and, do we ever go back a ways?  Of course, with Vance, it's clear back to first grade at Stinkin' Lincoln.  

For you, I'd say we share that Catholic spirit,  as you were attending IHM about the same time I was going to school here in Sandpoint and learning my Catholic stuff at Sister School and Catechism.  I learned the material but clearly not as well as you.

You stand up as a shining star for potential sainthood in comparison to me.  And, you've dedicated yourself as a wonderful teacher at Farmin School.  Plus, you've been a good friend to so many.  I'm sure Laurie would attest to that.

Anyway, Pat, I wish you the best, and I hope to see you and Vance out on your country drives.  Some one of these days you've got to stop in at the Lovestead.

Thanks for all you've done for your colleagues and for the students of this community.

And, thanks to all the others who are retiring this year from throughout our educational community.  

Sincerely and with much love, 

Marianne

No comments: