Monday, June 07, 2010

Lupine, lilacs and other pretty stuff


~~Popcorn Lupine~~

Our Love Canal lupine crop is reaching the height of its color. When we first moved here almost four years ago, a few lupine lined the area where water drains from our lawn into Kauble's pond next door.

The plants have multiplied considerably since then, and the colors are breath-taking.

Plus, it's all clean and pretty right now, one nice side effect of the steady rains we've had and will continue to have.

When I see sights like those in my yard and those along the rural roadways when the sun makes brief appearances, I thank God for our good fortune.


I try to imagine our beauty and our prized wildlife dripping with brown crude oil, and the thought makes me want to cry.

I can't even imagine the depth of emotions the people along the Gulf Coast are experiencing day by day as the scene becomes more depressing.

Those of us who complain about the rain have little reason in comparison to the folks in other parts of the country.

Not a day goes by that I take for granted how fortunate we are, even though we're wet.

Still, I'll complain about the rain cuz that's human nature and our concerns are all relative to our situation.

1 comment:

lj said...

My heart breaks when I look at pictures from the Gulf Coast. I feel so helpless.

Thanks for the reminder to be grateful. The rain does make everything really clean. :)