Thursday, July 01, 2010

Adieu to June


Today marks our fourth anniversary---not our wedding but our Lovestead living.  It's hard to believe that it's already been four years since we first started hauling our life's possessions to this "new" home.  

It still feels like we're in the honeymoon stages of living here.  I still pinch myself, feeling so fortunate to inhabit such a lovely piece of ground in a wonderful rural neighborhood.  It's the best, and I'm guessing I'll feel the same way ten years from now.

With the turning of the calendar, a busy month lies ahead----company, horse shows, people heading off on trips, yard work, gardening and, if it warms up again, splashing around in Big Blue on hot afternoons.  

It's not hot today, I'll tell you.  I know why too.  I put my cucumbers outside in the ground yesterday.  Of course, the temperature had to plummet on June 30 to give those cucumbers a near death experience.  After all, the standing water has done away with half my garden hopes----why not keep the string going?

I've adopted a laid-back attitude about garden hopes this year, which is probably a good idea.  I'll be satisfied and pleased with any successes.  Heck, even my strawberry patch took it in the shins during our last cold spell.  If we can get a dish of strawberries to pour over vanilla ice cream this year, we'll be lucky.  

Speaking of which, I have great news for anyone who loves Meadow Gold French vanilla like I do.  The new Super 1, which opened yesterday, stocks the stuff.  After having two stores go down on my supply, I was ecstatic yesterday to see that lovely Meadow Gold brand gracing the ice cream selection.  

Three boxes went into my shopping cart, and I think this time, I'm sending a letter to the management to implore them to keep it available.   I totally savored every spoonful of last night's bowl of ice cream smothered in Hershey's chocolate syrup.  Now, if we only had some fresh strawberries from the garden, I'd be in Heaven.

Visiting the store was fun.  Of course, every local for miles around came to the grand opening.  I saw one lady from Laclede, who told me to spread the word about Laclede Days this Sunday.  Everything starts at 1 p.m., and it's all free.  

The Klondyke folks are sponsoring the day's events.  There will be a dunk tank, a parade to Riley Creek campground and back, and plenty of other family-style fun.  So, if you're looking for a rural, small-town gathering on the actual Fourth of July, head to Laclede. 

Yesterday I also went to lunch with my dear friends and former students Kari Daarstad Saccomanno (left in pictures below) and Jeralyn Lewis Mire (right).  Kari's daughter Kendall joined us and took some pictures of us being our wacky selves.  That's how it's always been when we get together.

Kari and Jeralyn are phenomenal women, both mothers of two, both successful professionals.  Kari has served for ten years in the Coldwater Creek Photo Department.  Her present title is senior director of Aspenwood Advertising.  Meanwhile,  Jeralyn has been a school counselor in the local school district for several years.  She now serves at Sandpoint High School. 

While we were yakking 80 miles an hour over our lunch, a moose decided to add to to the outside atmosphere at the Blue Heron Restaurant.  The door to outside was locked, so the moose was well on its way by the time I could snap a picture.  

Still, you get the picture---the view out the Blue Heron aka Samuels Store window offers a pretty darned esthetic setting for lunch in a convenience store.  Plus, the food is always outstanding. 

I'll be hauling Lily over to my sisters' this morning so that Laurie can start riding her to prepare for the Spots of Fun Show July 10-11, so I've better shut up and get my morning yard chores done.

Welcome to July.  May you have a great month ahead. 


No comments: