Friday, July 23, 2010

Day Two: Love family odyssey


View out our window in Galveston

Bill and Margaret are enjoying the continental breakfast downstairs, and I'm enjoying my latte up here in Room 505 of the Quality Inn here in Galveston.
And, yes, I feel a bit of perspiration, even with the air conditioning.  We'll go outside in a while and walk along the Gulf of Mexico beach here.  Then, we'll head for a ferry which takes us back to the Texas mainland.

Around noon we'll be in Orange, meeting the other family members involved in this odyssey of sorts.

Huck and Sandra, Bill and Margaret's niece and nephew, are flying in to Houston this morning from Oklahoma City.  We'll all converge at an Aunt Wanda's house.  I don't know much about her except she's a retired school principal and somebody's relative, probably associated with Bill and Margaret's mother Helen Tingle Love.

I'm sure the day will be filled with fascinating information and some rich family history. I love this stuff, having participated in several similar situations with my own family roots.  It will be especially fun to gather the information and pass it on to Willie and Annie so that the stories will perpetuate themselves among future generations.  

Yesterday's activities were pretty much without incident, except I did encounter my first-ever body screening.  The machine at Spokane International Airport was encountering its first use yesterday, and I had the honor of being selected from our group of people going through security.  

Hope they liked what they saw, and apparently they did cuz they sent me on my way.  Bill got a little flustered at check-in when he inadvertently swiped his state credit card for the $25 baggage charge.  He was on the phone almost immediately calling the powers-that-be to let them know of his mistake.

We had great flights and a little more than we bargained for here in the Houston area.  Thunderstorms around the area kept us in the air, circling for about twenty minutes before the pilot got the go-ahead for landing.

It will be a big day ahead with plenty to report so stay tuned.   And, we're going to do our best to STAY COOL.  And, for any readers with whom I usually correspond by email, please use my Hotmail address.  For some reason I can't access my normal email.

Always happy to hear news from other folks. 

Happy Friday.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your take on Galveston. I can hear Glen Campbell singing in my head. I've always wanted to go there...Puz