Monday, July 19, 2010

Sweet and Sunny Thoughts



Lots of disappointments this year on the garden front, but the sunflowers and daisies are doing well.

And, these first blooms in the Lovestead patch for the year have me thinking about the positives.

~~~~~

The brightest thought occurred over in Portland around 7 p.m. last night when our daughter-in-law Debbie Love and her friend Paige pedaled across the finish line for the Seattle to Portland biking classic.

"They would have to take the bike away from her," Willie told me over the phone yesterday morning.

It had been doubtful whether or not Debbie should continue a second day of biking down I-5. She'd completed 99 miles the first day but did so with a painful pulled tendon in her knee.

Lots of ice and pain pills later, she climbed back in the saddle and proved to everyone how much heart she has within. Sunday's ride to the finish included 105 miles and a lot more hills than they had originally anticipated.

Willie sounded ecstatic when he called to let us know she made it.

"She's tired, her knees hurt, but she said she'd do it again," he told me.

Congratulations to Debbie and Paige on fulfilling their 18-month goal of a couple of gals getting in the saddle and seeing what they're made of.

We're proud of you, to say the least.

And, we hope your bodies recover in a timely and painless fashion.

~~~~~

My mother is still talking about her visit to the Bird Aviation and Invention Museum for the Women of Courage event, honoring specifically women aviators but also all women who participated in the WWII effort.

It has been a weekend down Memory Lane for Mother for sure. She told us a few more stories on our way out to The View Restaurant for dinner last night.

And, speaking of which, Bill gives a "high five" to the fish and chips plate at the newly remodeld Cocolalla restaurant which reopened after remaining idle for quite some time.

I give a high five to the quick service and the food but especially to the restroom. I can recall feeling like I was taking my life in my hands years ago when I stepped in to its predecessor.

And, being a restroom aficionado, I have to hand it to the owners for the lovely and user-friendly decor.


~~~~~

Laurie finished a weekend of dressage on a high note. I don't know too many details except that yesterday went far better than Saturday, and she finished second among her group in one test. She rode in four tests over the weekend.  

Her success in the event qualified her to enter the Sport Horse Nationals in Nampa this fall.

~~~~~

Bill and I are taking off on a family odyssey of sorts this weekend. We'll be entering the torrid zone when we fly into Houston and spend some time with his sister Margaret, his niece and nephew from Oklahoma and their spouses.

We'll also go to his hometown of Oakdale and take care of some family business.

This should be a very special trip for all involved, and, of course, I'll report on it.

Willie and Debbie will be minding the Lovestead while we're gone, and it looks like Willie may have to turn into Farmer Love if the hay gets harvested during our absence. My sisters assure me that he has the know-how since he was the crew boss on their hay crew one year.

~~~~~

Lots going on---all good. So, that lovely sunflower seems pretty appropriate today as do the daisies below.

Happy Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your white flower might be a summer hyacinth, also called a spire lily (Galtonia candicans, acc' to my perennial guide. Whatever it is, it's purty.

Looks like a fun day with the kids! Mary