Thursday, September 09, 2010

This and That Thursday

I discovered this morning that the sound doesn't work on my computer.  I don't know what nasty gremlin got inside the inner sanctum to do that nuisance.  

 A brilliant hot pink bush in one of my flower beds broke from its base yesterday and fell into the lawn. I discovered it had been hanging on to its spot by virtually a piece of bark before yesterday's final separation.

Lawnmower No. 1 needs either a new deck or some good welding from Tony, the fix-it man.  Tony tells me the new deck would be $800.  

Bill says maybe it's time for a new mower.  Whatever the case, when Lawnmower No. 1 went down yesterday with a piece of its deck broken off, just like the brilliant pink bush, I just climbed on Lawnmower No. 2.  I figured I was still good to go to get that lawn mowed.

After two or three rounds around the leaf-covered lawn, the belt came off.  It's been coming off with regularity, but I haven't complained because of having Lawnmower No. 1 in action most of the time.  I called Tony again and asked him to bring a belt for Lawnmower No. 2.

Bill put the belt back on its spools last night, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope to finish the lawn before the belt gets mad and falls off again.

Horse No. 2 in the pecking order decided that cooperating with me was not in his cards last night.  I saddled him up, lunged him and climbed aboard in the round pen for his second-ever ride.  Bill was close by in case of a need to pick up the pieces after my experience with this 4-legged vehicle.

Lucky, Bill remained close by;  the ensuing action came very close to his need to pick up the pieces. 

Ever sat directly atop a saddle horn?

Worse than occupying the hump in the back seat of a station wagon, I'll tell you. 

I never planned to sit on the saddle horn---I've never thought that was a good idea.  

But Lefty had different thoughts, so I did sit on the saddle horn---for about five seconds.  I stayed on the young horse, even as the Schwan's man came rolling into the driveway to disrupt our fun in the round pen.

Since the Schwan's man was there and dogs were barking and I had just gotten off the saddle horn and back into the saddle, I decided to step off from Lefty and call it a day.

At least, the vacuum cleaner cooperated yesterday.

On to more positive things:  Annie took a really nice photo of a bird at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo.  It was chosen as one of ten finalists for the zoo's 2011 calendar cover.  There's voting involved, as there seems to be for everything these days.  I see we did not get the vote out enough to become one of America's coolest small towns----even though the effort was amazing.

Anyway, Annie would appreciate your votes.  If she wins, she'll have the cover photo for the calendar and a year's pass to the zoo.  She goes there a lot and takes lots of neat photos.

If you're on Facebook, you can vote.  All you have to do is search for "Woodland Park Zoo" on Facebook or go to  

Once there, click the "like" button for the zoo.  That makes you a fan, and then scroll down where they'll have the calendar announcement.  Vote for the bird with the red head.  That's Annie's photo.  

If you're not a Facebook junkie and want to see the photo, you can visit her blog at  For some reason, Annie's blog has gotten on a track for thousands of visitors from all over the world.  I think she receives between 500-1,000 hits a day, which is pretty cool.

Voting for this competition lasts through tomorrow Sept. 10, so if you want to help her even more, tell your friends and tell them to tell theirs.  Thank you for your support.

In the promotion department, I also have to tell readers who like to write about a new blog, conceived and created  by some area writers.  You can find it at

The creators have put together an impressive collection of informative writing-related links, so check it out. 

On a sad note, I must note the passing of our neighbor John Hudon.  He died this week at 93.  

The Hudons were a part of our North Boyer community---hard-working rural people, all looking out for each other.  John's wife Lucille taught me one of the major lessons of my life, early on:  finish what you start because you're not going to get a free pass if you don't.

At least, in those times, that was the rule rather than the exception.  Lucille put up with me, which is amazing, because it was her package of colored nylons that I unwrapped and scattered along the ditch on the back road during my postal pilfering era.  

I found out years later why she tolerated me.  I knew those were her nylons because she told about finding them strewn in the ditch at one of our 4-H meetings.  What I didn't know was the Lucille had no idea who the culprit was until I had reached adulthood and confessed to her. 

John Hudon was, in my mind, the epitome of the "working man."  For years, I saw him go by, like clockwork,  in his car each morning headed for the mill and return each afternoon, following a hard day's work.

John was generous with his garden bounty and especially with his homemade wines.  We could always expect a bottle of huckleberry or raspberry wine with the neighborhood Christmas gift exchange.  

Several years ago, John was responsible for tapping my parents for a special humanitarian award from the Eagles Fraternal organization, where John remained active for years.  Mother and Harold had been looking out for a hermit who lived in the neighborhood, and John, who lived near the old gentleman,  had been watching their care and concern for years.

The Eagles appreciated John's dedication to their organization.  In fact, their present lodge is located at 1511 John Hudon Road off from Division in North Sandpoint.  

I grew up riding the school bus with his kids,  Don, Vic and Gen Hudon, and we see each other from time to time---too often at funerals.   John and his true blue hard-working kind will be missed.  He was a good friend and a wonderful neighbor back in the day . . . .

RIP John Hudon.

No comments: