Friday, November 26, 2010

You Tubing in Winter Wonderland



Add about five inches of snow to this scene . . . . and it keeps falling.

~~~~

It's more like "White Friday" here.  I think I've expressed my mild disdain for the term applied to the Friday after Thanksgiving in the past.

Somehow, it still sounds a bit negative----maybe it's history getting in the way.

I do understand its meaning for merchants and appreciate the intent.

Why not "Silver Bells Day"?  That has a nice ring to it.

~~~~~

Bill's first words to me this morning were "Happy Black Friday."  I groused about the term while downing my daily glaucosomine-chondroitin tablets.

Bill usually doesn't get up before me on his days off, but this IS Black Friday, and bargains were waiting for him down at Home Depot and Sandpoint Outfitters.

He was out the door before 6 a.m.

As he said "good bye," I was reading Facebook and learning that things were already getting a little hostile in the electronics section at our local Wal-Mart.

The correspondent with the cell phone was headed back to the frozen foods section where she had already snapped photos of sleeping bodies lining the aisle.

She had gone to Wal-Mart to get a cheap TV but decided that, for the time being, things were safer with the TV dinners.

~~~~~

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday.  Lounged around most of the day except for getting food assignments prepared.  I went for a walk down South Center Valley Road.  Willie and Annie went snow shoeing.

The new phenomenon of the holidays at home with kids are the hi-tech cell phones.  They dominated the day and before and after-dinner time at my sisters' house.

Willie and Annie have a Scrabble competition going, and Willie spends a lot of time digging up goodies on You-Tube.  Last night, techie stuff went from the cell phones to Barbara's laptop so we could watch a hilarious segment from a 1973 Hocus Pocus concert.

We also met "Antoine" who provided first-person thoughts on his sister's "almost rape" by some idiot in Mobile, Alabama.  Later, on the actual television set here at home, there was Antoine, big as life, being singled out on Matt Lauer's significant people of the past year.

Seems Antoine Dodson's comments of "Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Wife, Hide Your Husbands . . . ." have gone beyond viral on U-tube.




We also watched an adorable video "Marcel, the Shell with Shoes On" as seen below.



Looks like I'm going to have to get out of my dark ages and enter into a whole new realm of tech goodies.  So, look out.  Annie has shown me how to embed videos from U-Tube.

I'm probably the last person in the cyber-community of junkies to learn this, but that's okay.

Anyway, the holiday weekend moves on today with the hubby hitting the Black Friday specials, Willie and I hopefully generating some Black Friday book-love traffic at Vanderford's this afternoon, and a bunch of us attending the community Christmas tree-lighting ceremonies in the early evening hours.

Then, we'll head home by 7:15 p.m., armed with Second Avenue Pizza and ready to cheer on the Boise State Broncos in what looks to be their toughest game of the season---Nevada.

Go Broncos.  Happy Black Friday to All.  And, let's think about how much nicer it would be to call this "Silver Bell Day."  Maybe I need to promote the idea on U-Tube.

No comments: