Tuesday, December 21, 2010

King Cole: He made a difference.


I like to think that Expo '74 defined Spokane as we know it these days.  And, I believe that Schweitzer Mountain Resort, when it opened as Schweitzer Basin Ski Area in 1963 defined Sandpoint.  

Granted, other happenings along each community's timeline have had significant impact on their present state.  

Nonetheless, I believe that an overall historical perspective would support both of my claims.  And, if this assertion is incorrect, a fun among discussion from naysayers would be most welcome.

I'm thinking about Spokane in particular because King Cole has died.  

And, he could very well have claimed the title of  merry old soul, according to Rebecca Nappi's reporting in this morning's Spokesman-Review, noting how much he loved to have his children drive him through the streets of Spokane in his later years.

I inferred from the piece that he was downright giddy about the progress that had happened within his adopted community since Expo '74 when he had served as the most visible leader in the cadre of the World's Fair organizers. 

I'm old enough to remember Spokane before the World's Fair.  The memories were not that great, except that we were driving to the "big city."  

Most vivid in my childhood images of the trip were the miles and miles of dead cars along the highway (was it a freeway by '74; can't remember for sure on that one).  

The city's east entrance would have certainly been defined as an eyesore. 

At the time preceding the World's Fair, I also recall the continued resistance expressed by so many who opposed Spokane's hosting of the event.  Reminds me of Sandpoint's Byway disputes.

I don't remember the reasons for people opposing the fair, but I do know that a lot of folks around the area harbored a cynical view of such an undertaking----until they attended the event, that is.  

In most cases, a visit to Expo '74 dispelled all cynicism. And, in many cases, one visit led to another and another . . . .

Spokane's Expo was a magical, uplifting experience for me.  The fair attracted exhibits from several different countries, including Iran, where the Shah was still in power at the time.

I couldn't get enough of my visits to each exhibit.  And, having the opportunity to sample food from all over the world was a highlight too.

Talk about a cultural eye opener for a country hick, this was it.   

King Cole and his staff did that for me and for thousands of other residents around the region at a time when exposure to other cultures was pretty much reserved for those who had the means to go visit those countries. 
The World's Fair cleaned up Spokane and left behind  the gift of a beautiful river front and a magnificent park which has continued to evolve and to serve as a setting for many wonderful gatherings ever since.  

In my eyes, Spokane changed for the better after the World's Fair.

And, so,  from that point on, I always looked at King Cole as one of Spokane's heroes.  It was fun to learn later---once when he attended Mass at St. Joseph's Catholic Church--that he had been one of Msgr. O'Donovan's fellow Franciscans at the Mission of Santa Barbara. 

Both were working toward the priesthood at the time, but  King Cole opted to go a different direction.  He certainly succeeded in making a difference in the lives of many people, a community and an entire region.

RIP King Cole.

No comments: