Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Slight



Bill calls them his nursemaids.

Good thing: cuz a nurse I am not!

Since Annie isn't here to run his in-house errands when Bill rings his bell (that was common years ago when he had hernia surgery), Todd and Brooke provide the tender love while I care enough to let him have a corner of the living room. 

Bill had foot surgery yesterday.

I won't go into details except to say that Kootenai Medical Center's Outpatient Surgery Unit knows efficiency.

We arrived at 7:45 a.m. and he was wheeled to the car at 11:20 a.m.  

During our stay, I walked through the facility's sliding-glass doors a couple of times and noted that the wheelchair brigade with patients and nurses reminded me of an on-ramp on the freeway.

Definitely no messing around down there.  I had time while waiting through the surgery to write most of a story assignment and to go to Costco.

My trip to Costco had to be quick because they told me in recovery, he'd be ready in half hour-45 minutes. 

Besides, one couldn't dilly dally there yesterday cuz they didn't have the samples out yet. 

 Bill is in bliss, most of the time.  His surgery is over.  He does NOT have to use crutches (that put me in bliss too). 

He has his temporary "office/therapy center" in the living room with a box for all his papers and reading material, his portable DVD player and a laptop.

Add two loving Border Collies and it doesn't get any better than that.

I won't mention that Bill's aim improved dramatically overnight when his stomach decided that the pain medication and its recently deposited contents did not mix.

Yes, I cleaned up the first explosion and nicely said to him, "This is why I'm not a nurse."

He hit dead-on in the garbage can second time---and was rather proud of himself.

Bill is being a trooper, for which I'm proud cuz he has been known to whine on past occasions. 

Do men do that?

I think we'll make it through this one just fine, as long as he behaves himself and does what's told to him by doctor and wife. 

~~~~
In Bill's travels around the house after I went to bed last night, he spotted a 4-legged visitor at the sliding glass door.

When he first walked by, he noticed the suet container missing.  Next time, there it was in all its adorable splendor----a thieving raccoon.

We have to record this little critter as our first coon sighting at the Lovestead.  We've seen signs of them after leaving garbage sacks in the back of the pickup, but never the real deal.

Maybe Mr. Coon will come visiting again tonight, and I can see him.

~~~~

Gorgeous morning out there today.  I think they call the newest layer of snowfall "corn snow."  I think skiers would like it, and I'll probably give it a try with my snowshoes later.

Yesterday's drive back from Coeur d'Alene was white knuckle from Athol north.  
We were glad to get back here and settle in for a long winter's night.
And, this morning there's the reward outside with the bright sun and new blanket of snow.
I won't complain.
Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

marilyn said...

Yes men tend to whine when ill. But Bill looks well taken care of with the doggies by his side. Here's to a speedy recovery!!

Margaret said...

Ice cream helps speed recovery. Eat lots!

I know you'll make the best of this 'down' time, Bill.