Thursday, February 24, 2011

Always working . . . .

I had to go a different route with posting my pictures this morning because the usual protocol between Picasa and the blogger program was not working.

So, who knows what this will look like on computer screens across the world.

"Different route" is the catch phrase of the day as the winds howl outside and much of the normal activity has come to a standstill, thanks to this "early spring" blizzard.

The paper has not arrived.  Bill has gone to work.  Schools are closed today, and we're wondering if the third time will be a charm for the Sandpoint-Moscow varsity basketball game, scheduled originally Tuesday, rescheduled yesterday and reschedule again for today.

Willie told us the team and coaches were on the bus yesterday afternoon when word came that it was not safe to take off down HWY 95 for the 2.5 hour trip to Moscow.

I don't know that it will be any safer today, and if it's not, they have to consider other options----maybe even a winner-take-all in the double elimination district tournament.  

If Moscow wins, there's no problem because Sandpoint will have lost two games; if Sandpoint wins, they've got to do some figuring because there's no available time left for scheduling yet another game.

Here at the Lovestead, we never quit working, as you can see by my doggies.  They will not let a little blizzard get them down when it comes to their jobs, including chasing the big blue ball. 

And, I took the opportunity to do like those journalists who always stand out there like fools in the middle of the hurricanes.  I foolishly practiced my craft this morning to snap images of a full-fledged blizzard.  

I knew better than to ask Bill to come out and photograph me with wind blowing at my clothes as I chronicled the impact on the wild winds blowing and swirling in our Selle fields.  

So, I took several pictures, and I'm hoping that those below, which did make it through the cyber-gauntlet,  do show up in their entirety and show you that the wind is, indeed, blustery around here.

My trigger finger on the camera almost froze solid during the ten minutes I spent outside doing my photojournalism.  But it has thawed out, and it's working just fine as I type.

This is the first real "blizzard" we've experienced during our time here at the Lovestead, and we are happy.

We are happy that Stan and Geneva planted those big spruce trees more than 60 years ago between our place and theirs.  It's downright cozy around the barnyard this morning because of all their protection.

Plus, the barn was pretty comfy for the horses and Annie Dog overnight; it felt almost balmy inside when I opened the doors.  Everyone inside was quite content. 

I was going to leave the horses in the barn, but after walking to the northwest corner of the barnyard, I decided they're just fine out there.

Both Bill and I have commented that if this blizzard were going over at our old home, we'd be walking or crawling over driveway drifts for weeks.  

So, overall, we're doing okay, just complaining like everyone else that it's time for winter to go somewhere else.

But that's about all we can do---complain AND gossip to all the blizzard-bound folks who are keeping Facebook alive this morning with their observations of this weather event---wherever they happen to be.

For example, Susie Parkins didn't seem to be too upset that she was bound for Maui this morning.  Debbie, our daughter-in-law, said they're shutting Portland down cuz of the snow.  

Ron Kauble, Jr. says all the snow blew into his driveway at Elmira.  Four sets of retired teachers I know are trying to make us up north all feel bad cuz they're down there in the California sunshine.

So there-----is all I've got to say.  When the going away from bad weather gets easy, the tough ones up here in the middle of it all get that much tougher as we continue to build character.  

Enjoy your sunshine!  We'll manage up here. :)




No comments: