Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What's in a Name? What's in the fame?



I wondered why someone from New Hampshire would be searching my blog for Elizabeth Taylor siblings.  Learned that from checking the sitemeter. Whenever there's an interesting place listed among the readers, I check to see why they landed on my blog.

I figured whoever they were, they'd be disappointed after finding that Elizabeth Taylor siblings in my blog happen to be four Taylor boys who grew up on the farm across from the Lovestead.  They all joined the Navy.

The Taylor brothers have one sister Elizabeth, and she's finishing up her studies to earn an elementary teaching degree. 

It's obvious, they were looking for the other more famous Elizabeth.  
The next move I made after checking the sitemeter information for my blog was to move on to the news headlines.  Now, I know why the searcher landed on my spot.

The first headline announced that world-renowned actress Elizabeth Taylor has died from heart failure.  She's been in and out of hospitals for some time, so it comes as no surprise.

I'm sure the next few days, weeks or even months will bring us information about her siblings and probably a lot more than we ever really wanted to know about Liz.  

And, when you're talking all things Liz, of course, Michael Jackson needs to be revived.  For sure, Liz' ultimate demise produces much fodder for all the entertainment shows and news magazines.  

What will stand out in my mind about Liz Taylor is her childhood role in National Velvet. That was important to me at the time because any horse-related movie gets my attention.  Not that they're always that great----I was pretty disappointed in Secretariat

Anyway,  Liz played a memorable part in National Velvet.  I'm sure if I watched the movie these days I may not like it as much as when it first came out. 

Liz was, indeed, beautiful.  And, I believe she was a pretty good actress. May she rest in peace, and may her story told over and over and over not get too tiring. 

I doubt she would want her fans to turn totally nauseated by the overkill which television tends to do these days.  

As for Elizabeth Taylor across the road with the four brothers, I think she's probably going to contribute positively to a lot of lives in her role as a teacher.  I'm sure she already has done her share in changing lives for the better.

Her work, which has involved signing for the deaf,  probably won't make too many headlines, but it will certainly have lasting impact.  She worked for a couple of years in Southern Idaho before deciding to pursue her elementary teaching certificate.  

This Elizabeth Taylor comes from a hard-working, community-minded family whose imprint has been left in so many places here in Bonner County.  The brothers and their dad have contributed through their years as Boy Scouts.  

I was just telling my sister Laurie this past weekend that Mary Taylor and family always cook the hamburgers at the annual Idaho State Forestry contest each May.  

I'm sure Elizabeth Taylor has flipped her share of burgers over the years. 

Again, all four Taylor brothers and their dad have served and continue to serve our country.  I see Elizabeth's mom every time I vote because she works for the elections board.  She volunteers at the local elementary school.  She even teaches aspiring small farmers about all things chicken.

It will be fun to see where Elizabeth ends up once she earns her teaching degree this spring.  The school will be fortunate, I'm sure.

So, our Elizabeth Taylor may never be as famous as National Velvet's or Cleopatra, but I'm sure she'll make her mark in a very different and meaningful way.  

And now, in the future,  if some google searcher lands on my blog, looking for Liz Taylor's siblings, they'll learn about Peter, Michael, Brian and Terry, all proudly and honorably serving in the United State Navy. 

And, they'll also learn a few tidbits in another Elizabeth Taylor's ongoing and inspiring story as an aspiring teacher of the children.

No comments: