Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wind in the North, they say


I just saw some photos of our pups and horses on Roxane Conrad's Facebook wall.  It was truly shocking to see THAT much snow still there, eight days after my departure.

There was this scenario, which seems to be turning into a wild fantasy, swirling around in my mind before leaving.  I'll leave, say good bye to this snow,  and will return to bare ground.  I can imagine my mood if still there looking out the window at the white stuff every day.

So, if they talk about wind in the North of Ireland today, there'll be no complaining from me.  I could be shoveling snow.  Do miss the Lovestead, Bill and the critters even though we're having a great time, and my eyes are busy virtually every waking moment, trying to take it all in.

I do see that my mother is getting to see the blog every day, so here's a quick note to her.  I'm really bummed that the International calling did not work out but so glad you get to enjoy the trip through these postings.

Plus, I made a decision.  Your rosary comes from the abbey pictured below AND the top photo is the bed and breakfast where we stayed Tuesday night in Galway. 

In regard to the rosary, no offense to St. Patrick, but I know the nuns were a major influence in your upbringing, so I think you'll appreciate having a rosary associated with them, albeit a different order. 

Mother and everyone would have loved where we visited yesterday on Ash Wednesday.  The Kylemoor Abbey in Connemara is home to a group of Benedictine nuns who came from Belgium after the war destroyed their abbey.

Prior to their residence, the abbey and its 13,000 surrounding acres served as a country place for a British couple.  They lived a fine, genteel life there.  After their deaths, the next owners let the place fall apart, but it's certainly a beautiful, peaceful spot now.

We visited the abbey, a gothic cathedral and a mausoleum on the grounds, all involving the first owners.  When the owner's wife died, he had the cathedral built, carefully, according to gothic architecture.  Down the pathway along a very peaceful body of water sits a mausoleum where the couple now rests.

This visit was among my favorite highlights of many lifetime highlights over the past several days.  Bill would have liked the place too because there was fly fishing available in the area.

Annie and I also took a short hike in Connemara National Park, but the wind and rain made it a bit miserable as clothes got soaked pretty quickly.  Go figure.  As soon as we reached the visitors' center after turning around, the sun came out. 

We drove most of the day yesterday and arrived in Londonderry (Derry) in Northern Ireland around 7:30 p.m.  Then, Annie searched her "magic" phone for accommodations.  We settled for a Travelodge in downtown Derry. 

It was a bit comical in that it doesn't look like any Travelodge we'd ever seen.  We had to walk through a downtown mall and up the stairs to find the desk.  The clerk sat there, looking a bit lonely and not terribly enthusiastic in a big room.  I wondered if anyone else was staying here, but I could hear them in the night.

So, we're not the only customers.  After lugging a growing amount of luggage and souvenirs up some stairs (and believe me, Bill's dress bag weighs about as much as one of our hay bales), I have decided we'll put up with this place for two nights.

To say its offerings are spartan in comparison to what we're used to in motels/hotels would be an understatement.  No wash cloth, one tiny slab of soap, no hair dryer, etc. 

But there's the standard coffee pot with Nescafe original, and I brought along my Nestles hot chocolate with marshmallows, so the morning latte is a staple. 

Today we'll do some looking around the Northern Ireland.  Last night Annie looked at her "magic" phone and determined that she and I have not been the farthest north ever in our lives.  So, that's a milestone.

My mother's family comes from the county we're in.  We drove through Donegal Town late yesterday afternoon, and we'll probably go back and check out Letterkenny where I've learned that her family names of Robinson and Crossan are prominent.

Doubt if we see any relatives, but we'll know a bit about the lay of the land.

Here in Londonderry (pop. 98,000), we have learned that it's the last of the fully walled cities around Europe.  Of course, my thoughts of Londonderry take me back to the days when I tried to learn the "Londonderry Air" on Delamarter's piano when I babysat Frank and Marie so many years ago. 

Nice to be in town associated with all that musical struggle for this talent-deprived soul. And, I do get chills any time someone strikes up the beautiful anthem, so much better known as "Oh, Danny Boy."  

Amazing how trips like this take us to all destinations and some crazy moments in our entire life journey.  So, Delamarters, you've been thought of, and Mother, we're here where your ancestors once lived.  

Hope we can get some good pictures on this windy and possibly wet day in the North of Ireland.

Be sure to check the Ireland blog for more photos. 

Happy Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary and I stayed in a couple of Travelodges in the UK. They're a model of how to cut corners. They're an Australian based chain that comes in handy when the wallet starts to feel a bit thin. They make Super Eight seem like the Waldorf Astoria. The indifference of the desk clerk might be a job qualification. Those that we encountered in the UK were just a smidgeon above surly. Bed and Breakfasts were much nicer....

MJB