Friday, April 22, 2011

I tried . . . .




Beauty isn't always just skin deep. Sometimes it's just not there. And, when they say someone had a face that only a mother could love.  
 
Well, some cookies have an appearance that would scare even the meanest of cookie monsters away.  
 I don't know if Bill selected any from this plate to take in his lunch today.  I do know that I encouraged him a couple of times, and he just kinda grunted. 

These are my first and last attempt to come up with a prototype for some real, true-to-life lemon-filled Oreo-ho-hos. 

I call them Oreo-ho-hos because I don't want to get into any copyright or patent infringements.  
I also dubbed them Oreo-ho-hos after they came out of the oven and I used three tools to try to get them to separate from the bottom of the baking dish.
They turned out to be pretty much a joke. 
Here's the ho-ho story.
It was raining and snowing yesterday.  That's not really news---just a scene setter.
I believe some of us here are finally submitting to the idea that waiting for it to stop raining is not gonna get a lot of stuff done.
I'd already done my stint outside in my snowpants during the morning hours, raking out a few other flower spots and picking up dog droppings.
That's about all I wanted to do in the rain, so I spent several hours indoors. 
Part of that time was spent doing some family research, and the rest involved fulfilling a notion that has been swirling around in my head ever since that terrorist said those Oreos I brought to the book club meeting were not lemon-filled . . . just yellow-filled. 

That notion actually evolved from all these people who read my blog and believed that I had actually found lemon-filled Oreos at the grocery store and went looking themselves to come up empty-handed.

I figured if the combination sounded so good to them, maybe I could develop such a cookie and get a corner on the market.
Well, after yesterday, I'm not quite ready to call my banker to figure out what to do with the investments.
As I explained to my daughter-in-law yesterday---if I took some Betty Crocker brownie mix and made thin slabs of chocolate stuff instead of full-fledged puffed up brownies, I could have the makings for those stuffed cookies.
 I could remove the slabs from the pans, cut 'em in squares and then put some of that lemon-flavored frosting in between for sandwiches.
So, the day before I had already picked up the brownie mix and spent a fortune for a tiny bottle of lemon extract. 
 When the yucky weather drove me inside, I decided it was time to go into my creative cooking project. 
So, I got out the bowls, the mix and went to work.  Yes, I did put oil in the bottom of the baking pans. 
Well, the buzzer rang in the oven, and I checked the slabs.  Still soft.
So, I left them for ten more minutes.
After taking them out of the oven, I left them to cool and whipped up the high-priced frosting.
When it was time to make the first ever Lovestead original Oreo-ho-ho, I realized very quickly it would be a time-consuming process.
 First, I tried removing a few squares with a knife.  Then, I moved on to the fancy metal pancake turner Bill bought at Merwin's.
The squares held tight.
Then, I pulled out the cake spatula, purchased at Panhandle Animal Shelter's thrift store last week.  It's pointed and sharp.
Still no luck.
So, I spent considerable time, slowly working the orginal spatula beneath the slab squares.  Some squares exploded into several tiny pieces in the process.
I was able to remove a few but not without considerable bodily injury---not to myself but the cookies, as you can see in the photo.
Still not daunted, I figured they might not look pretty but they'd surely taste good.
 I slopped on some frosting and made a few cookie sandwiches.
Of course, I ate the prototype.  Overall assessment:  chewy, a bit crunchy but tasty. 
 What's on the plate is the grand total made from two boxes of brownie mix.
After chipping away for another ten minutes or so, I took the pyrex dishes full of cemented brownie slabs and filled each with water.  
They sat on the counter for a couple of hours, allowing the cooked dough to separate from the pan and turn into a bread-and-milk consistency.
Water was drained off; brownie dough went into a garbage bag.
I suppose I could have turned over the slabs to the dogs---but I have been formerly warned about feeding brownies to dogs.
Besides, even their sharp teeth could never have scraped the stuff from the pan.
 I told Bill this morning about my lame efforts to come up with the cookie of the century.
"Well, there's a reason Oreo's have a patent and a corner on the market," he commented.
Now that I've shared this story,  I'll go downstairs and see if he ever took any of the pathetic attempts at Lovestead Oreo-ho-hos with his lunch today. 
My overall conclusion:  somebody needs to write to the Oreo company and tell them to come up with a lemon-filled cookie.  
I bet they'd make millions, cuz they don't have to worry about competition from the Lovestead Oreo-ho-hos.  

2 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

I came up with an oreo cookie years ago by making round chocolate cookies and then adding frosting. Turned out pretty good. So....the yellow isn't lemon, well they are still tasty.

Anonymous said...

Oreo did have a lemon filled cookie they had out for a limited time about 3 years ago. I have been craving and hoping they will produce and market them again. I did write to the company, but I was told to just watch and wait to see what they decide to market! :(