Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shining Moments

Some of the family gathered for an early version of Easter dinner last night.

It was a lovely meal and a great get-together.  My sister Barbara, on the left, told us about her adventures in Anaheim over the weekend:  the blisters from so much walking, finding Angels stadium when they weren't really looking for it and the general fun they had with a nice group of students.

That's my sister Laurie next to her, Bill, and, of course, my mother.  We'll probably figure out in a day or so what we'll be doing for the main Easter event, but last night's dinner was a nice start to the week.

The evening included some shining moments around town also, as five new honorees were named as Sandpoint-area Women of Wisdom.  They include Myrt Burnett, Barbara Eacret, Jane Gould, Helen Tapp and Sally Transue.

Since I was at dinner at the same place where Myrt and her family were dining, I brought my camera just in case she was named.  We had a plan whereby if she was chosen, Kathy Chambers would call me and then I'd be around to snap photos while she received the news.

The best part was that some of her family were there too.  I don't think there was a dry eye among the group as Myrt attempted through the noise to hear what Kathy was saying to her on the phone.

Lots of happy folks and a lady very, very deserving of this honor, as are they all.  Congratulations to Sandpoint's 2011 Women of Wisdom.   They'll be honored at a couple of social events in June.

There was a shining moment the night before last in Moscow, and we're proud to announce that one of our family members was honored.

My niece Laura Laumatia received an award for her outreach work as extension agent for the Coeur d'Alene Tribe.

The press release notes:   Outreach and Engagement Excellence Award---Laura Laumatia, assistant professor and Extension educator, Coeur d’Alene Extension Reservation, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.

Laura was among a group of University of Idaho professors honored for their work in education.  Congratulations, Laura.  We are proud of you.

The sun is shining this morning, so provides us another moment or two to smile. 

The only unshining moment deals with my computer which seems to have reached new frontiers in sluggishness.  Would you believe I've been sitting here for almost an hour and waiting for things to come alive.

So, I'll cut my losses and call it good.  Am hoping my photo of Myrt will show up below.  Have a great day, filled with shining moments of your own. 


No comments: