Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunny Sunday, maybe

Brooke and Kea

I could hear rain hitting the roof when I got up at 5 this morning.  Later, I put a comment on Facebook that it had stopped and maybe we would have a nice day.

My friend Jeanne chimed in that it was snowing in Coeur d'Alene.  Another friend said Hayden was receiving white stuff too.

The rain has stopped, and the sun has come out.  For that I am thankful.  And, I shall remain thankful throughout the day if it continues.

The paper had not yet come when I finished morning chores.  So, I came inside and grabbed my camera to take a few photos while waiting.  

First spot was the lettuce patch next to the dog kennel.  In spite of all the weather-related hardships we've had through this portion of spring, I'm very happy about the looks of my lettuce.  

I planted it in the the pots with several dividers.  And, each plant seems just right for putting into the ground.  With luck, they'll spread out, and this little patch will have us enjoying some spring salads in a few weeks.  

I've got lots more where these came from and will stick a few more in the ground today.  

I snapped a few photos from the front yard also.  Doggies were waiting a safe distance from the road while I wandered about the lush green and wet lawn.  

While taking photos to the east and back toward the barn by the poplar trees, I listened to Bullet barking at Gary's.  I listened closely for the sound of a car rolling down the road, making occasional stops to drop off papers.

And, I delighted in the sounds of all the birds flittering about, including the pair of geese who flew overhead, honking their way over to Taylor's. 

During that time a train over to the west drowned out most of the sounds, so I gave up on hearing that paper deliverer coming down the road and concentrated on some more pictures.  

I like whimsey, so you'll notice that blue horse shoe next to the painted wagon wheel.  I have red shoes and yellow shoes scatterd about different areas in the yard.  

I'm thinking about going really crazy and maybe painting my new planter yellow.  It's that Irish influence where colors are bright and loud.  

For now, dry weather days will include finishing up the paint job on the fence and the front deck planters-----just red and white.

Once the train moved on down the tracks, I did hear a car turn on to South Center Valley Road.  I heard it stop down by Kaubles, so the paper was coming.

Then, the guy just drove by to the north, so I figured it was a false alarm and headed for the house.  Halfway there, though, I heard a car stop and start to the north.  Turns out the paper deliverer had a couple of boxes up the road and chose to do those first.

So, I waited until he took off and grabbed my papers.  Some good and interesting reading in this morning's editions, including the fact that our friend Susie Haskins was named Idaho Educator of the Year.

She's a kindergarten teacher at Farmin Elementary, and she's a dedicated soul.  We enjoyed working with Susie several years ago when she was an usher extraordinaire for the Festival at Sandpoint.  

I can't think of a more deserving individual for this award. Nice way for Susie to top off her teaching career.  Bill says she's taking home her gold fish---which she's had in her classroom---for the last time this June.

Congrats to Susie!

What's NOT in this morning's papers is that the SHS Cedar Post took 6th place in Best of Show for high school newspapers 8 pages and under at yesterday's JEA national convention awards assembly.  Last year they took 7th, so they're climbing toward the top.

Congrats to Willie and his staff.

This morning the Monticola and Cedar Post students will be sitting in an audience of 4,000 other high school journalists, hoping to pick up a few individual awards from their write-off contests, held on Friday. 






No comments: