Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday the 13th in the Blogosphere


I’m writing this post in Microsoft Word in hopes of publishing it sometime today.  For the first time that I can remember, Blogger seems to have a MAJOR problem.  It’s happened twice in the past 24 hours.

Yesterday I noticed the post I’d published in the morning was gone.  Upon going into the Blogger inner sanctum, I learned they were working on a problem.

Later in the day, the post returned.

This morning it’s not there, at least for now.  This time the Blogger gods left a more complete note.  They had taken down all posts published after 7:37 a.m. Wednesday.  When the problem was fixed, they’d be back up again.

A later note said that they’re restoring the posts and that things should be back to normal soon.  This must be huge on their end.  In the past, there have been times when they’ve announced shutdowns for doing any inner sanctum work, but they’ve never taken down posts that I can recall.

Anyway, it’s Friday, the 13th.  I hope the Blogger gods’ bad luck does not return.  And, let’s hope that good luck prevails on this superstitious day.  I have seen no black cats, and I’ve not walked under a ladder yet today.  So, I’m hoping to be careful in my wanderings.

Willie’s wandering this weekend.  He dropped the dogs off early this morning cuz he’ll head for Seattle this afternoon where he and Annie will take in the BIG soccer weekend.

The Portland Timbers are coming to town for a match against the Sounders tomorrow night.  This is the first time the two have met as Major League Soccer teams.  They’ve met before, and from what I read in the paper, there’s revenge scheduled in tomorrow night’s match.

Compared to a normal match, this ought to be exciting for the fans who already get pretty juiced up for any home match, i.e., “Let him die! Let him die!” when an opposing team player gets hurt.  And, that’s one of the nice chants.

Apparently, a Sounders player inflicted a bad hit on a Timbers’ player back in 2004, so the Timbers are probably not only gunning but axeing for some rough action tomorrow night. 

We’ll probably watch the match at 8 p.m. tomorrow on ESPN2, and it won’t surprise me if we see Willie and Annie in the heat of the fan action. Our couches will probably be safe zones for watching the match---in comparison.

Big weekend again.  Any weekend in May when things get pretty is a big weekend in Sandpoint.  I met the owner of the Sand Stallion last weekend.  Gail Trotta, a former Minnesotan who’s here in Sandpoint to stay, is opening her new Western store down on Cedar next to the Cedar Street Bridge.

She graciously invited me into the store to show me some of the features she has planned. The offerings will include both Western and English attire and tack and local art.   She even took some of my first two books to put on the shelves.  It was reassuring to hear her stress the importance of catering to locals and tourists, alike.

The project has turned into a family affair for her, and she’s excited about promoting all things local.  I enjoyed my visit with Gail and have no doubt she’ll offer a nice experience for folks who love a good Western store.

So, good luck to Gail Trotta and the Sand Stallion.  She opens her doors tomorrow.

Speaking of equine thoughts, my horses will get their first taste of legal grass today.  And, there’s been no Legislative action on that.  Theirs is the good ol’ fashioned kind, now growing profusely.  The pastures seem to be dried up enough for their heavy bodies and hungry mouths.

I fed them a big breakfast so they won’t gorge themselves when I turn them out, which will be for short periods of time---to avoid gut problems.

Slowly but surely, we’re getting into some spring---asparagus spears are jutting skyward, some trees have blossoms and the dandelions are in heaven.  I know the latter makes Pat Gooby, the DandeeLion King, happy. 

And, I can even smile, though I hate the fact that the Weed and Feed only fed my dandelions.  They’re a sure sign that spring has sprung, and that’s okay with me.

Happy Friday.  Stay away from those cats and ladders!

FINALLY, at 10:08, I was able to post; now we'll see if it shows up.  I think those Blogger gods have had some bad luck today.

And my post from yesterday is gone, gone, gone from everywhere.

Maybe it's hiding in Pakistan.

Update:  At 2:30 p.m. when I checked, yesterday's post had returned.  Hopefully the technical problems with Blogger.com are under control.


No comments: