Monday, May 23, 2011

Gonna BOUNCE those squiter critters right outa my hair


Why is it that when friends send you those forwards touting all the ways you can use vinegar or nail polish or WD-40, you don't have a real need at the time? So, the list gets read and eventually deleted.  

I have actually printed off a few in the past, figuring when I'm in a fix, needing a quick household solution, I'd review the possibilities suggested on said list.

Most of the time, those eventually get thrown away when I clean my desk off.  

Timing is everything when those lists arrive.  For instance, if during this past week, someone had sent me words of wisdom on the many uses for dryer tissues, I could have had a longer, more enjoyable horseback ride Saturday night.

Instead, I batted mosquitoes out of my face and hair for as long as I could stand it and then turned around for home.  There was nothing I could do for my horse who was really suffering.

Well, the after-the-fact timing turned out to be good on this dilemma.  

Yesterday, after sounding off in my blog about the damn mosquitoes, Bill, Mother and I attended the reception for former Schweitzer Ski Area manager Sam Wormington's memorial.

We figured the event would represent a wonderful page from the past.  That it did, with lots of great stories told on or about Sam and many, many familiar faces belonging to longtime friends who all shared ties to Sam and his family for nearly 50 years. 

One of those, Jean, had been among the originals up there at Schweitzer in the early '60s, and she's still hitting the hill as often as possible, as is her friend Lucille who continues to astound folks with her very youthful appearance.  Lucille turned 80 yesterday.

During our visit Jean told me to get a box of dryer tissues and take some with me the next time I climb aboard Lily.  Stuff them in her bridle, and put them on your straps.  The mosquitoes will leave you alone, she told me. 

Wonderful news for me cuz I have a feeling the mosquitoes will be sticking around for a while on this wet year. 

Later, I had a chance to be the "voice of wisdom."  I went for a walk in the woods and saw the neighbors outside where Todd and Brooke like to go on their escape missions.

I decided to walk over their way to demonstrate that Marianne had a behavior button other than a full-fledged volcano perennially about to explode hazardous materials and language over all who happen to be in her midst.  

That's how I act whenever the grandpuppies disappear right before my very eyes.  It takes me a while to settle down, once I've jumped in the car and raced over to Wes and Alissa's to retrieve them one more time.  

My purpose last night was to show the neighbors the laid-back, calm, happy Marianne out for a casual evening walk.  Wes and Alissa's renters were planting their garden, while Wes and Alissa were holding batting practice with their two boys. 

They've rigged up a homestyle automatic pitching machine, and the boys were at the ready to swing at those balls whizzing past.  Wes operated the machine while Alissa played catcher.  

We had a nice visit; then I headed back to our woods, stopping to admire the nice veggie starts in the Ben and Sam's garden.  They were having a great time teaming up, putting in raspberries and emptying pots filled with peas and corn, etc. 

Ben said the only problem was those pesky mosquitoes that would not leave them alone. 

"I've got the answer," I proudly announced.  "Go to town and get some Bounce."  And, Jean, I did give you credit.  

Anyway, in this wet neighborhood, I have a feeling dryer tissues will be on more than one shopping list. 

If the weather holds tonight, I'll have to saddle up Lily and give it a try. 

And, while I'm thinking about it, I guess I'd better put a folder on my computer for "household products used to remedy household problems."  

By the way, when I go to town I also need to get some more WD-40.  My friend Mike told me last week that you can dilute it and spray it over your standing water.

"You can just watch those mosquitoes die," he added.  

Sounds good to me. 

No comments: