Monday, May 02, 2011

What a day in May!



Today is a gorgeous day to wave the flag.

My flag is out at the end of the driveway, fluttering in the sunshine.

I remember doing a little flag waving almost ten years ago, when this country suffered one of its deepest wounds ever. 

I remember sitting at my computer and seeing the headline:  plane hits the World Trade Center.
I remember immediately turning on my TV and seeing a second plane hitting the Twin Towers---live, of all things.

By the time I'd called both of my kids, had gathered my emotions and had driven to school, the news of the Pentagon had hit.

It was horrible; these shocking events would not stop.

I remember spending the day in the library as my classes watched the day's events unfold and the aftermath---all in mostly silent, stunned horror.

I remember the student in first period-class who asked to be excused so he could go call his family.  His brother was in the Navy, and "I'll bet he'll have to go to war," he said.

I remember the Sunday afterward when a group of locals gathered at the south end of the Long Bridge, flags in hand and waving them proudly, sending one of endless messages to all who passed by:  we are proud Americans.

Hundreds of vehicles rolling past on the main bridge seconded the motion by waving or honking their horns. 

My mother was with me that day, all decked out in her red, white and blue.  We drove around the community and were touched by the patriotic displays in virtually every yard.  

I remember President Bush telling the nation that tracking down those who did this could take years, but Americans would do it. 

He meant it, and demonstrated that resolve throughout his Presidency. 

I also remember an eventual resistance to the War on Terror.  It all seemed to get muddled and skewed among other motives.  

A new President came to power, and Osama bin Laden was still on the loose, transmitting messages to the world, laced with hints to provoke more fear. 

Almost ten years have passed.  As President Bush said a decade ago, tracking down these people would take time.  Over that decade, the various entities charged with the mission to find them have seen some successes.

Still, the "head of the snake" remained hidden, ironically not in a cave but in a high-priced compound in the midst of affluence.
 
May 1, 2011, was a day for rejoicing in these parts.  The sun came out; it was a beautiful day just like Sept. 11, 2001.  

People enjoyed the outdoors, running in Bloomsday, tidying up their yards, fishing, soaking up that long-awaited sun.

During the day as I bathed horses, hauled dirt, mowed lawn, etc., I kept thinking about the segment advertised on "60 Minutes" about CBS news correspondent Lara Logan, who had endured a brutal attack while reporting on the jubilation in Egypt when their dictator stepped down.

Later, I learned there would also be a segment on the Kentucky Derby.

I was primed for watching some compelling features on my favorite news magazine.

Tears rolled down my face as I watched Lara Logan recount her story.  It was beyond awful.  

The raw facts reported by the victim were sickening, but Lara Logan is a journalist, and she felt the story needed to be told. 

When the segment about the phenomenal Thoroughbred mare came, I switched from sadness to exhilaration.  After all, the big race is coming this Saturday, and I love anything dealing with horses.

Suddenly, unusual "breaking news" gizmos disrupted all concentration.  As the banners continued, I commented to Bill that maybe this was a technology glitch because there was really no substance reported in the "breaking news."  

It's all history now.  There was definite substance.  Conflicting emotions rule one's mind about such news.  It's not nice to be happy that someone died, but when thousands have died because of this individual, I would say it's okay to be greatly satisfied.

When we think of the people that died on Sept. 11, 2001, and all who have died or who sacrificed greatly in the years since in pursuit of this enemy to our nation, we should take time to rejoice.

We should also take note in the resolve that we have witnessed so many times in the history of this great country.  

It is alive and well.

We are Americans---all races, religions, political affiliations, etc., and days like May 1, 2011, provide us reminders of just what makes us so proud to be Americans. 

What a day!  What a country! 

No comments: