Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday Slight


Tom Sherry said months ago to count on the last week of July and first week of August as the best time for camping and outdoor activities.  

I'll pat him on the back for that claim cuz we're coming off several days of rain and gray and greeting a truly beautiful day. 

Summer is scheduled for the next two weeks, so the old saying of making hay while the sun shines is truer than ever this year.  Farmers can finally get back into the fields, and folks looking for a good time outdoors can settle in for the summer fun.

We're taking in two major events today.  This morning Bill is headed off to the woods to cut come wood.  Later, Debbie and I will join Barbara and Laurie on a drive down to Post Falls for the annual Julyamish powwow put on by the Coeur d'Alene Tribe.  

Debbie has a friend through Girl Scouts,  coming up from Southern Idaho who's a member of the Shoshone-Paiutes.  She and her sons will be participating in the dancing contests. 

We'll take pictures and check out the crafts for a few hours and then head back to Sandpoint.  

That's when Bill and I will get together to attend the second event:  a five-year class reunion for classes from 1961-'65.  

I made up my mind this week to attend, thanks to Gary Finney coming into the driveway the other night,  telling me I'd better go.  Up to that point, I hadn't really known how the summer was going to unfold with all the other plans.
The reunion is scheduled for this evening at the old junior high (as my class knew it), now known as the Sandpoint Events Center.  There'll be dancing and, for sure, plenty of yakkedy yak.  I talked to a Class of '64 member yesterday, and she said she sure hopes they supply nametags. 

I agree. 

This will be a new phenomenon for many of us attending, especially because we'll be encountering folks we only read about decades ago in the papers cuz they were far enough ahead of us in age that we never really saw them one on one very often.

So, it's an action-packed day over here but probably not as much as what Annie is taking on this morning.  She's participating in an Oyster Adventure run over in Seattle.  Check out the link:  http://oysterracingseries.com/Seattle.php

Apparently, this wild and crazy and unpredictable event takes the boredom out of a usual 5 or 10 K run.  And, I think you have to like oysters to participate. 

A bright, sunny, somewhat warm day means plants will need watering so I'll head on out and wish everyone a wonderful Saturday.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time at the reunion. Let me know any news you hear!
Janet