Friday, July 08, 2011

Shootin' the Breeze


My header seemed appropriate this morning because a wind has cooled things off since yesterday.  In fact, while watering earlier, I even zipped up my fleece  completely from bottom to top.  

You might say I was shooting the breeze with that hose and even shivering a bit while doing so. 

I don't mind the cooler temps cuz the hot stuff gets old in a hurry:  sweat dripping down the brow and from every other body part; hair getting all yucked up, sunglasses fogging up and feet screaming to get out of those dust-filled shoes and socks.

When you're weed eating, you've got to dress appropriately, or you pay the price of suffering even worse than the misery endured from all those clothes keeping your body too warm. 

Those clothes offer some protection from rocks or stems flying upward after receiving a high-powered whipping from high-speed plastic strings.  

Most of the yard has received its work-over from the weed eater, but there's still more to go.  So, today's breeze will be nice. 

Last night's breeze, coupled with thunder and lightning was causing some fits for a fire that broke out on Granite Ridge north of Sandpoint.  My sister called just before nine and said they could see the fire from the highway.  

We learned later that the Department of Lands had sent crew members up the mountain to put it out.  Hard to believe a fire would break out this soon after all the moisture we've had this year.

If they do this year, though, there's plenty of material for them to burn with all the grass that's grown thanks to that moisture. 

Speaking of my sisters, they had an unplanned stay in Ellensburg yesterday while returning from their horse show in Monroe.  Laurie called around noon and said she, Dusty, the horse and Pita, the dog were at the Ellensburg fairgrounds, while Barbara was at the Ford garage. 

Four hours later, thanks to the mechanics finding a timing problem, they were on the road again.  I think they'll be washing horses again today for another show tomorrow.

The Spots of Fun Show runs through the weekend.  It's one of the long-lasting horse shows for Sandpoint, coordinated for years by Moreen Leen and family. Moreen says entries are low.  My sisters told me that could be because of the equine herpes scare earlier this spring.

When that was big news, a regular Coeur d'Alene show was postponed and rescheduled for this weekend.  The conflict cuts the entries significantly, since many folks from down south usually participate.

I'll be spending the weekend in the announcer's stand---another reason I'm glad the weather has cooled off a bit.  The bees and I usually co-exist.  If they stay away from me, I won't spray away at them. Simple as that. 

Lots going on.  I learned that my brother Mike is hiking the Pacific Crest trail with his son-in-law, so he'll be missing the Space Shuttle launch, but not his daughter and grandson.

Laura continues to report their activities in Florida on her blog.  The kids were thrilled yesterday to have a recognizable Hollywood actor on their flight.  He was even nice enough to pose for pictures with the kids.  

You can learn more by visiting:  http://cdarezshuttlelaunch.blogspot.com/

With that, I'll quit shooting the breeze and send you off to the Coeur d'Alene Rez Space Shuttle Adventure.  Enjoy.

Happy Friday. 

No comments: