Thursday, August 18, 2011

Manure-pile Spuds, et. al.


The new green bucket has gotten plenty of use this week, i.e., huckleberries, various garden goodies and most specifically some large potatoes.

Last night I was curious to see what kind of potatoes the manure-pile patch was producing this year.  

So, I robbed a rather prominent plant of about half its yield.  

Well, it looks like a good year for the spuds.

Yeah, they may have a few skin blemishes, but these Lovestead gems are still doing okay.

Half a plant yielded almost two gallons of potatoes. 

The manure pile grew spuds of similar size last year, and, they were tasty with hollow centers. 

Some in this bucket would make a meal and then some for Bill and me.

Can't wait to bake one, slather it with salt, pepper, onion salt, Imperial margarine and sour cream and then enjoy a delightful potato feast.

About three quarters of my manure pile west of the barn has a spud-plant covering.  The rest is growing a few pretty flowers, two big squash plants and a huge pumpkin with lots of developing fruit.

The only drawback to this kind of gardening is the occasional deer sweep at night where tops of spud plants get chomped off,  and then below the ground, rodents nibble away at the goods.

So, I'll probably harvest the manure-pile plot early, but with spuds this size, I think we're still going to be money ahead on what Bill likes to call our "Depression potatoes."

That thought brings to mind a subject I listened to last night as financial guru Suzie Orman stressed that we can plan to experience tough financial times through 2015.  

Ouch! 

Every time people start talking about the dim financial future, I say to Bill, "Just grow more potatoes!"  

This year, it looks like my gardens are helping out with that plan. 

~~~~

In other farm news, we had a wildlife sighting and some turkey chaos this morning.  

As I was walking back from leading Lily to pasture, I looked over and saw a coyote in Meserve's field. 

It saw me about the same time; then it turned and trotted away.  

I attempted a feeble coyote-like yowl, which caused the critter to pause, turn around and look at me.  Then, off through the grass it ran, probably unimpressed.

A few minutes later, I was walking across the road to get the papers.  Two cars had passed and had slowed down just beyond our place.

The turkeys!

Yeah, they were crossing the road, probably to go into Taylor's field when the traffic came along.

The usual orderly discipline of the gobbler troop fell apart.  Turkeys scattered every which way.  

Young turkeys went ballistic, scurrying to and fro,  trying to figure out where to go.

The pickup driver, who was in a hurry to get to work, honked and honked.

  Finally, he wheeled out to the left to avoid two young strays who were in a panic on the opposite side from their group.

Once he passed, the strays raced to their mommy, chattering and waving their wings.  

It was a traumatic moment that turned out well.  All the turkeys got to the other side of the road and went on their way. 

~~~~
And, I'd better get on my way.  Lots to do, especially with printing photos for the fair.  I looked over the fairbook and saw that we need to enter our goodies by Monday noon.

Why is it that suddenly the deadline for entering exhibits for the fair is just days away?

I guess that's how it goes with fast summers. 

And, by the way, speaking of speeding through life---for those who noticed a blog error---I did realize around noon yesterday that it was, indeed, Wednesday and not Tuesday.

I felt a little stupid for about an hour, but when my friend Chris also thought it was Tuesday, I figured it was, for sure, a summer mental failing which has nothing to do with age----cuz she's younger than I.

Happy Thursday . . . I think! :)

No comments: