Thursday, September 29, 2011

'Maters and 'Taters, Oh My!


They said to cover the tomatoes last night cuz it was gonna get cold.  I did not follow directions.

Instead, I pulled all the 'mater plants and picked all the fruits.  Mother Nature has been good to us in that we have had no surprise freezes in late August or September.

So, I've done about all the watering I want to do, and Mother Nature even helped that along with the full day of rain Tuesday.  

I've done all the gardening I want to do also.  So, upon hearing that radio announcement yesterday, I made up my mind.  

Gardening 2011 is officially over at the Lovestead, 'cept for the lettuce I planted last week around the dog-kennel plot.

Green tomatoes, layered with newspaper, have filled an apple box. They're out in the storage shed.  Red,  or almost red tomatoes,  line the counter on the garden window above the kitchen sink. 

A bowl of fully ripe tomatoes sits a bowl in the refrigerator.  I used some of those in my salad---made from store-bought greens---last night.  

Ultimate Yummy!

As for potatoes, I started digging them yesterday with the pitchfork. Have to admit a bit of disappointment with some.  They're red potatoes and most from one plot are only about twice the size of marbles.  

So, all friends, including Florine, out there, send me your recipe for those delicious red potatoes with garlic.  I haven't yet figured out just how to cook them so they're soft and filled with a heavenly garlic flavor.

Looks like I'll have plenty to try the recipe several times.  This morning, the  wheel barrow is half full of potatoes and Walla Walla sweet onions.

By day's end, I figure on having all potatoes out of the ground AND the good news is that the biggest are yet to come.  So, I'm figuring on filling most or all of the wheel barrow.  

Two 5-gallon buckets of potatoes currently sit just inside the garage door.  So, I think we'll have enough for the winter. 

Today I'll probably also pick another pumpkin from the plant (which was advertised as a squash in my Northside School seed packet).  

I'll take it to Michele Murphree this morning who's likely celebrating today.  She's a Master Gardener, and she arranged a grant with Home Depot to create some major garden plots in a weed-infested area at Kootenai School.

At least a dozen workers from Home Depot will be there this morning, building the plots and preparing soil. Their project includes a strawberry patch.  Michele has invited to the public to go check it out while the crew is there working today. 

The action all starts at 10 a.m. and runs until about 2 p.m.

When I go, I'll give her my pumpkin, and she can present it to the students at Northside School to demonstrate how their work at school went to work this summer in numerous gardens around the area. 

My daughter-in-law, Debbie,  has been working with community gardens through Girl Scouts---Culdesac, Oldtown and other places in Washington. 

This is a wonderful aspect of education for our youth, especially in hard economic times like this.  I hope Michele and Debbie's work and vision continue to grow---like a flourishing garden.  

In the meantime, I'm thankful for what my own gardens have produced this year.  Not thankful to the deer who have consumed more than their share.

Still, the fruits of such labors can be measured in dollars and cents and, more importantly, in some delightful, flavorful enjoyment during our meals. 

Now, send me that recipe for those garlic potatoes!  

And, have a nice day. 

1 comment:

laurie said...

there is absolutely nothing more delicious than a homegrown tomato - enjoy.