Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday This and That

Well, the retiree just left for work again this morning.  He'll be back home around 8 this evening.  Yesterday he left while I was writing my blog post and arrived home around 7 p.m.
"Whaddya gonna do with Bill around the house?" I was asked several times before his retirement party Sept. 30.
I still can't answer that question cuz he's been around the house less than usual since retiring.
Now, there may be a hidden message to his absence, but I think not.  Yesterday's schedule meant working near Spirit Lake, driving to Priest River to catch the Smithsonian exhibit called "The Way We Worked," and then heading into Sandpoint for choir practice at the Presbyterian Church.
How did he like the Smithsonian exhibit?  Darned if I know cuz I haven't had much time to ask him. 
Today he'll be working somewhere down by Ramsey Road near Coeur d'Alene and then attending a church session meeting which lasts until 8 p.m.
"Don't make me any dinner," he said. 
"Will you be off tomorrow?" I asked.
"Yup, I'm gonna go cut firewood," he responded. 
I'm guessing at least one day of the weekend will be spent pheasant hunting or fishing the Moyie.
Of course, with the lovely weather we've been having, anyone who's not making full use of it will be sorry once the winter gray days set in. 
Then will come the test of how Bill and I get along when he's around the house more than usual.  I think we'll survive.
~~~~Today I'll get a chance to meet one of my sister's students.  Laurie is happy to have volunteers come to Farmin School each day at 12:15 to work individually with her students.  My role will be to sit and listen while a student reads aloud from a book they've chosen.  
As the student proceeds through the reading assignment, I'll do periodic checks for understanding. That's the nuts-and-bolts aspect of the project, but I'm sure the experience will reap additional rewards for all involved. I'm looking forward to this weekly connection with education in action. 
~~~~The horses now have their additional shelter space.  Brad and his son Jonathan finished up the addition to the barnyard shelter yesterday. So, any time it rains or snows, there's plenty of room for the three of them.  
Lily just has to learn that she's too tall to walk under the back end of the shelter.  I think her experience of bumping the overhead board with her withers last night gave her a pretty good clue.  
Our shelter sheds on the Lovestead were built with goats in mind, and the back end to the barnyard shelter has always been low.  For some reason, Lily forgot that fact as she attempted to walk through the back end of its new addition.
~~~~It's with great sadness that I must update a segment of my blog posting from two days ago where I was announcing a benefit for Barbara Bristow.
I learned yesterday that she passed away that very night. 
Her family says the benefit Nov. 18 will go on as scheduled because they have incurred massive medical bills from her recent struggle with a rare form of cancer. I'll continue to provide information about the benefit as it draws nearer. 
My condolences to Barbara's husband Rod, her children and all of her extended family.  I taught some of her children and thoroughly enjoyed them; she left behind a legacy of fine children and grandchildren. 
~~~~Guess that's all for now.  Have a great Thursday. 

No comments: