Friday, November 18, 2011

PHD: About 5 More Inches

Yup, we've got snow. 
Teachers and students are happy too.
No school today.
Skiers and boarders are happy. 
Schweitzer Ski Resort is opening tomorrow, earliest in 25 years. 
The snow is steadily coming down, light and fluffy.
I understand it may not be coming down this afternoon.
Instead, they say it could be sideways, cuz we've got gusty winds and cold on the way.
Down to almost zero tomorrow night.
And, as predicted, those oak leaves,  pictured yesterday,  have all but disappeared for the winter. 
Yesterday's plowing took almost two hours.  It was pretty heavy snow.
I took time to push it way back cuz newscasters keep re-affirming the fact that we're in another La Nina this year.
Colder, wetter in the Northwest. Possibility of lots of snow piles.
Guess we're used to that by now.
The only good news I heard last night was that La Nina's not quite as strong as it was last year.  We'll see.
I formed one pile a few feet past the gate into the hayfield yesterday.
I figured we might as well get some good out of it, so the pile is the beginnings of a sledding hill. 
I'll keep adding to it. 
Maybe we'll have some recreation along with all the work. 
Snow shoes came out yesterday, but I still toughed it while walking through the hayfield in just my boots.  It was a good workout.
With Bill working today, I'll be plowing again. 
I have not had deadlines over the past few months, so I'm finding my "job" to be more along the line of "keeping the home fires burning" and in the wood stove.
I rather like my job description, now that it's void of outside stress. 
In addition to stoking fires and taking doggies for walks and plowing and shoveling, I baked pumpkin bread yesterday, from Lovestead pumpkins.
Several loaves will be available for Thanksgiving munchies.
Annie asked me last night during our telephone visit if we have baking soda and baking powder.
She's gonna bake buttermilk biscuits when she comes home.
She had a picture of her first-ever attempt at the biscuits on Facebook last week, and they were beauties.
She said they tasted mighty good too.
So, we'll have Miller's Country Kitchen butterflake rolls and Annie's country kitchen biscuits to go with all the other goodies next week.
I'm getting hungry.
The stomach will have to just keep growling, though, cuz there's work to do outside, and if I work hard enough, I may burn enough calories to actually enjoy a piece of pumpkin bread.
Yum! Yum!
Happy Friday.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

This picture would make a great Christmas card